Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Array

School
    10th Planet San Diego
    I started 10PSD at 40 5'8" 235lbs and I couldn't touch my toes or even sit in butterfly good. Now 43 185lbs and I can lotus, touch toes and play rubber guard. I went from 2 days a week to 5 days per week over these 3 years. I have also done yoga for the same amount of time. Everyday my main focus is to not get hurt even if it means tapping or getting smashed. I have seen some older people come and go, and when they are focus on beating people (young competitive people) it is just a matter of time before they stop coming in.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gambini View Post
    I started 10PSD at 40 5'8" 235lbs and I couldn't touch my toes or even sit in butterfly good. Now 43 185lbs and I can lotus, touch toes and play rubber guard. I went from 2 days a week to 5 days per week over these 3 years. I have also done yoga for the same amount of time. Everyday my main focus is to not get hurt even if it means tapping or getting smashed. I have seen some older people come and go, and when they are focus on beating people (young competitive people) it is just a matter of time before they stop coming in.
    I agree wholeheartedly with the bolded part. Leave your ego at the door as much as possible (ego, as in having to win or come first). It is a fun sport but also an effective martial art so be prepared. For the first year, not getting hurt was my main priority when sparring. Over time I gained confidence, learnt my limitations and those of my training partners and so became more aggressive or say increased my assertiveness on the mat.

Array

School
    Adam Ryan MMA/Chekmat Vancouver
    I was just about to pretty much ask the same question , only I was gonna say at 38 . I have sort of tried getting into BJJ a few times in the past , but kept getting discouraged because I sucked shit , and kept getting destroyed . But there is still something in me that says to go try it again .

Starting out you really just need to focus on defending and surviving.

you will love 10p in vegas man. Casey Halstead is one of the most bjj passionate people on the planet and a hell of a genuine guy. I have never not learned something in class and have never had a bad roll here.

Array

School
    Ronin @ Ion BJJ
    What everyone else has said is great advice. I spend more time doing yoga, stretching, massage, and watching technique videos than I do actually rolling. Keeping your diet clean helps a lot too.

Array

School
    10patx
    Never too old, never too overweight. Not just 10PL but Jiu-Jitsu in general. Being willing to step onto the mat is 75 percent of the challenge when starting out. It’s important to evaluate what you want out of your time training because you will get out of it what you put into it. Don’t kid yourself — there will be aches and pains you didn’t know you could have so it’s also important to know your body and what it’s telling you but it’s also important to know that you are capable of much more than you think you are.

Enjoy the journey.

Array

School
    10th Planet Portland, OR
    I started at 53 and am now 56 and just got my blue belt. You can definitely do it!

Array

School
    10th Planet Phoenix
    I will be 44 this summer, for sure I am one of the older guys in the school. I have learned that my mind and body are in two different places. In my mind I am still 25 but my body tells me differently.

Listen to your body, stretch, go to class consistently and you will be fine.

Array

School
    10th Planet Las Vegas
    I started at 40 and rolled on my 41st Birthday. It’s only too late when you can’t move anymore. Just be smart and go easy at first. Try to stay away from the young guys with something to prove. Oss

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast