Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Array

School
    Roger Gracie Academy
    Hi sorry everyone I should have said my comment referred only to smoking weed in relation to it's effects on the lungs. Yes in other forms it would be less harmfull. However smoking it is obviously the most popular way for many. I will definetly watch 'The Union' and 'Cannbis the evil weed'.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay JC Chow View Post
    Actually it's a lung cleanser, thc has anti-tumor properties
    Yes Weed contains the chemical T.H.C which has been shown to be effective for a variety of ailments including cancer tumours. However sorry to point out it does not clense the lungs from the harmfull of actualy smoking weed. THC does not stop the spread of of respiritory irritants and gaseous toxins in the lungs. It also does not stop the deposition of carcinogins in your airways. Also it does not stop the Cilia from increasing in temperature from the smoke.

Array

School
    10TH Planet Morgantown
    Zoraiz... I'm no expert, but I'm thinkin combusted butane from a bic lighter could be worse for your lungs than the Marijuana itself. That may be your friends ONLY point... Evenso the best way around that is to VAPE!!! To be objective I have attached a link that discusses the facts of inhaled butane... From what I'm reading the butane is not even all that harmful?!?!

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...8120127AAwOgXC

Looks like your friends don't have a leg to stand on cause I know the WEED is not bad 4 ya!

Peace!
    Last edited by Neale Hoerle; 12-12-2010 at 01:35 PM.

Array

School
    Ronin
    I just did a presentation in my Mens Health class about cancer and i brought up the topic of marijuana use. The class was extremely interested as you could imagine in a college course lol. But i gathered up a bunch of peer-reviewed research about it and I was shocked to find that THC inhibits cancer cell growth rate by approximately 60% and it also prevents cancer cell metastasis meaning it greatly slows its spreading. It does this by binding to epithelial growth factor receptor sites on the cell. Its pretty interesting shit if you ask me. There are tons of instances in which it is beneficial. But i do agree with Brent in that it could affect the mind in other ways such as the anxiety stuff....but i think that really just depends on the person. It's certainly not for everyone. I dated a girl who has smoked everyday since she was 15 and she's smart as hell and a fully functioning adult. On the other side, i know a guy who has let it consume him and he's an idiot about it all. It really depends on the person.

Array

School
    Indie/Suffolk MMA/ Combat Sports and Fitness Center
    Quote Originally Posted by James III View Post
    Don't get me wrong I have nothing against weed smokers and I will get around to watching the Union but do some people really believe there are absolutely no harmfull effects from weed? I'm pretty sure constant use has an effect on your lungs in the form of respiratory irritants and gaseous toxins. Basically as I understand it anything that isn't Oxygen is not good for your lungs. Smoking in any form whether weed or cigarettes facilitates the deposition of carcinogens in your airways.
    Thats funny cause the air we breathe isnt even 25% oxygen, so that means around 80% of our air is harmful to us? Not so true man. Also, THC (the chemical that gets you high) has been proven to be anti-carcinogenic. Smoking weed is definatly healthier than smoking cigarettes. Healthier for body and mind.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Quote Originally Posted by James III View Post
    Don't get me wrong I have nothing against weed smokers and I will get around to watching the Union but do some people really believe there are absolutely no harmfull effects from weed? I'm pretty sure constant use has an effect on your lungs in the form of respiratory irritants and gaseous toxins. Basically as I understand it anything that isn't Oxygen is not good for your lungs. Smoking in any form whether weed or cigarettes facilitates the deposition of carcinogens in your airways. Also I've not seen any studies on this but I'm sure I remember being taught that raising the temperature of the lungs in the form of inhaled smoke weakens the cilia. However this would likely depend on how frequently you smoke.

Now let me state I'm not against legalisatin of weed. I mean if Alcohol and Cigarettes are legal then so should Weed. However lets be cautious against claims that it isn't harmfull in any way because for your lungs it definetly can be over time.
    There are NO negative effects to your lungs if you use a vaporizer. Its used for asthma patients as a bronchialator to cleanse the lungs and assist with clean breathing. The main issue with inhalation is the carcinogens, change the delivery system and you remove carcinogens. The propaganda most people have heard for years is bullshit and is not based on fact or research.
    Check out my instructional website:www.zogipedia.com

Head Coach 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Rochester www.10thplanetjiujitsurochester.com

Array

School
    Rocha BJJ / Gracie Humaita
    I used to work in a top cannabis club in Northern CA, and have researched the debate for years. The problem is perfectly described in your wording. You ask for a way to "prove the safety" of marijuana, but that is not really doable. There is no test for harmlessness, and that has never been the standard for a legal drug. You can show that it is physically impossible to OD: if you ate (and could somehow digest) pure thc, your stomach would explode before you absorbed enough to OD, and if you injected it into your bloodstream, you would die from blood dilution before you OD'ed. But federal-level research in not allowed due to its ridiculous scheduling, so proof is hard, even in the form of animal testing. The issue should be looked at backwards. Ask your friend for proof that it does any type of harm. When he says it's bad for your lungs, explain vaporizers and volcanoes. Then see what else he has got. After that, if you need to counter his arguments, PM me. There's all types of evidence, like a UCLA study a few years back that showed strong direct ties to cannabis slowing down the rate of growth of many forms of cancer. The fact is, most arguments against THC are stigma and taboo. The same people who claim it is harmful are the ones who have made it illegal for them to prove themselves correct.

Array

School
    Roger Gracie Academy
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Jeffries View Post
    Thats funny cause the air we breathe isnt even 25% oxygen, so that means around 80% of our air is harmful to us? Not so true man.
    I think this is just a question of semantics here. I never said the lungs can only take in pure 100% Oxygen otherwise it gets damaged. Of course the air we inhale is a mixture of gases including nitrogen, oxygen, water, argon, carbon dioxide and other trace gases. Basically I should of said anything which isn't the natural AIR we normally breathe can be seen as a gaseous Toxin by the lungs.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Jeffries View Post
    . Also, THC (the chemical that gets you high) has been proven to be anti-carcinogenic.
    I was under the impression that any burnt substance when inhaled like Tabacco, Weed or even just plain paper leaves carcinogens in your airways. How can THC eliminate that 100%? Is there a particular study you can show me as I would interested to read that.

Array

School
    Roger Gracie Academy
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Herzog View Post
    There are NO negative effects to your lungs if you use a vaporizer.
    As I explained earlier I was referring to it just being smoked the traditional way as that is the most common way people do weed,

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Herzog View Post
    The main issue with inhalation is the carcinogens, change the delivery system and you remove carcinogens.
    Yes it is the carcinogens which are definetly the problem when just inhaled without a vaporizer. I have not seen enough research to comment on vaporizers though. I will definetly find time soon to watch those two documentarys mentioned. Like I said I don't have a problem with Weed smokers or it being legalised. I just think it's important to clarify the effects on the lungs when some people say Weed is 100% safe and does absolutely no harm whatsoever. I mean even if you just think logically if someone smokes weed (without a vapourizer) everyday for 30 years and you compare their lungs to someone the same age who never smoked then there is of course going to be a difference. Now it just recognising that there is an effect on the lungs that I'm concerned with. I have no problem with people smoking, getting drunk or getting high. If cigarettes and alcohol are legal then so should Weed. I just think people shouldn't delude themselves it has zero negative effects when smoked without a vapourizer.

Array

School
    Liverpool Vale Tudo
    Okay obviously it's going to have some effect on your brain, but when there's research that shows that it doesn't kill brain cells but makes brain cells grow, that surely is a positive effect, no? I agree that in some people there is anxiety problems but as Dustin says, that highly depends on the person.

If it hasn't got any negative effects on your lungs when done with a vaporizer then I don't see where the problem is, except in the way its taken in? So it's not the Marijuana thats the problem but the "tool" used for it. The problem for me is that the vaporizer costs £400 here, for a decent one anyway. Im pretty sure that puts off a lot of people.
    Last edited by Jay Chow; 12-12-2010 at 04:24 PM.

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago
    I agree with brent now matter what you put in your body will have an effect. Shitty food, drugs, whatever. The chemicals effect every person in simililar but different ways. For some people they will become anxious for other it will relieve anxiety.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast