Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How often have you trained a week on average the past 5 or 10 years

Feeling guilty started when I was 20 now 29 i trained average 2 times a week on grappling and mma no pure striking

It is one of the worst feelings to think you wasted your 20s fucking around instead of training. Kinda therapeutic to make this thread actually.

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ, Gracie Academy HQ
    Everyone works on their own time. I wouldn’t get into the habit of comparing with others as we all have different life situations and realities. For example, I started at 23 and am 29 now, training once usually twice a day, just about everyday. Factor in the fact that I’m single, no kids, and have had a favorable work/school situation that allows my schedule to accommodate this. I’ve had people ask how I’m moving up this fast, the honest answer is I’ve turned down a lot of dates, social events, blew off friends, had back surgery, watched ungodly amounts of video, sacrificed professional development much to the chagrin of my family (at least, slowing down professional development to train all the god damn time) and put EVERY LAST PENNY of expendable income I have on Bjj seminars, tournaments, dvds, bjj books, or the occasional private lesson, all in the hopes that within a few years I’ll be able to have a sustainable income doing something I love. My closet is stuffed with gi’s And rash guards, whereas my wardrobe is very basic; T-shirt’s shorts underwear and socks, none of which I’ve bought new for years. There are sacrifices people don’t hear or know about even. At the end of the day, look to now to change, don’t look toward yesterday. Show up, show up, and when you’re tired and can’t train, still show up and watch. Stuff your brain with jiu jitsu and make it a priority.
    Last edited by Arman Fathi; 07-10-2018 at 10:50 AM.

sounds like me.... I dont compete though and I think the rules are BS in grappling. Sometimes competing is what keeps people training. I ALWAYS thought I was to late to be any good at martial arts even when I was 20. When I started almost all the big name american fighters in the ufc and pride had a wrestling background except BJ penn and they dont even have wrestling in Hawaii his home state. My point is I always doubted myself in martial arts and that can really lower your game. Thank god I found weight lifting that really helps in mma.

Fast forward to 2014 and I join a crappy sambo gym and dominate and start to feel like im good lol.

BTW you dont have to buy books on jiu jitsu the library has a big selection you just have to order it from another library and they ship it to your library

Array

School
    Ethos Jiu-Jitsu & Martial Arts of Tyler, Texas
    Average, hmm, I'd say 7 or 8yrs, about 4 days a week, a hour and a half each day

Array

School
    joining 10th planet Ann Arbor
    I am starting this and coming up on 50. I did not waste a day of my life just prioritized other development. My tribe is ffffn awesome and accepts me as an old ffn guy that is having fun.

Array

School
    Ronin @ Ion BJJ
    Trained Muay Thai, BJJ, Wrestling for 5-6 days per week when I was 15-21 y/o. But then school got in the way, jobs, marriage, kids. Started back up training at 40 y/o - now nearly 42...rolling two times a week, light drilling/movement/yoga/stretching/recovery seven days a week, lol. Life happens. Everyone is on their own unique journey. The only difference at an older age is my mind says to do something and my body is A LOT slower in reacting lol. Recovery and maintaining flexibility and joint health take precedence. I also rarely roll at more than 60-70% intensity.
    Last edited by Daniel Siriphongs; 07-15-2018 at 02:44 PM.

40 isnt old look at mayweather dc etc

i think a lot of athletes declining in age is decline in interest in sport they have kids worry about them worry about wife cheating on them etc etc

sorry i dont know how to edit

but yeah steroids really help old athletes your body doesnt get faster at recovering with age but with steroids it is a diff world you can recover faster if you use steroids

wouldnt recommend it though

Array

School
    Ronin @ Ion BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by SHAOLINMONK View Post
    40 isnt old look at mayweather dc etc

i think a lot of athletes declining in age is decline in interest in sport they have kids worry about them worry about wife cheating on them etc etc
    I’m no Mayweather or Cormier lol. My two days of rolling (sometimes three) are what work for my body and schedule. I tried pushing it to more rolling sessions per week, but after a few weeks, I could feel my body having difficulty recovering. So 2-3 times
    per week is the sweet spot for me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast