Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stamina

Stamina

Hello community. I need you help about improving my stamina/duration power for Jiu Jitsu.

During the rolls most of the time I know what should I do. My inner voice is like “Ok now I should take the cross lapel,shrimp a little bit and put my knee...”
    but my body doesn’t listen my commands because it gets tired. It may be frustrating sometimes. I am breathing and feeling out of energy.

Let me give you details about me.
    -I had asthma when I was a child. I couldn’t even run 300 meters. But after a professional treatment for 3 years I became able to train. And I started to play basketball. I was training for 1 and half hours of sessions and it was something like a bless for me.

-and than when I was 16 I started body building (maybe I shouldn’t do that).After I learned basics; I was lifting heavy weights with small amounts of reps and rounds. But they were pretty heavy for my division. I was bench pressing with 60 kHz when I was 58 kgs.
    It continued 2 years. When I became 18 years old; I had a muscular body. Than i tried some boxing. I was feeling the same exhaustion again. I was hitting very hard,I was feeling very strong but I was getting exhausted very fast.

And than I started BJJ. These days I have the same problem. Not like the body building days but not enough.

What do you recommend in that situation to me? Thanks a lot

Lift heavy ass weight.

Get some friends and mats and train hard.

Array

School
    AFS Academy/10th Planet Richmond, Richmond, Ky.
    High Intensity Interval Training is one of the very best supplemental training methods you can do to simulate the energy expenditure and recovery process of jiu jitsu.

The method Eddie prescribes is a very good example of this. If you have access to an olympic size pool, you are going to swim from side to side of that pool. Watch the clock or use a timer or whatever. You have one minute to swim across the pool, which shouldn't take the entire minute, and then rest until the next minute interval starts. Swim back across and then rest for the rest of that minute. Continue for at least 30 minutes, which means you will have swam across the pool 30 times. Increase the time as you improve.

Swimming is good because of the low impact nature on your body (jiu jitsu beats your body up enough as it is) and uses such a vast area of muscle recruitment, like jiu jitsu.

If you don't have access to a pool, there are many similar methods you can use to accomplish the same thing. Airdyne bikes are great for this, elipticals, versa-climbers etc. but you will do this slightly different. A common example is to "sprint" for 20 or 30 seconds, then slow to medium for 10 seconds. Do this for rounds that are the same or greater than the round time you roll. In other words, if your gym commonly rolls for 7 minute rounds, then set your training for 8 minutes.

You can also just sprint from telephone pole to telephone pole, then jog to the next, sprint, jog. However, you are not getting the full body effect, so I have my guys throw in some push ups, burpees etc. as well.

Lots of methods on this principle. Look into it! ;-)

Array

School
    Open Mat
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Elliott View Post
    High Intensity Interval Training is one of the very best supplemental training methods you can do to simulate the energy expenditure and recovery process of jiu jitsu.

The method Eddie prescribes is a very good example of this. If you have access to an olympic size pool, you are going to swim from side to side of that pool. Watch the clock or use a timer or whatever. You have one minute to swim across the pool, which shouldn't take the entire minute, and then rest until the next minute interval starts. Swim back across and then rest for the rest of that minute. Continue for at least 30 minutes, which means you will have swam across the pool 30 times. Increase the time as you improve.

Swimming is good because of the low impact nature on your body (jiu jitsu beats your body up enough as it is) and uses such a vast area of muscle recruitment, like jiu jitsu.

If you don't have access to a pool, there are many similar methods you can use to accomplish the same thing. Airdyne bikes are great for this, elipticals, versa-climbers etc. but you will do this slightly different. A common example is to "sprint" for 20 or 30 seconds, then slow to medium for 10 seconds. Do this for rounds that are the same or greater than the round time you roll. In other words, if your gym commonly rolls for 7 minute rounds, then set your training for 8 minutes.

You can also just sprint from telephone pole to telephone pole, then jog to the next, sprint, jog. However, you are not getting the full body effect, so I have my guys throw in some push ups, burpees etc. as well.

Thats so beautifully put...

I know boxers tend to shadow box while running... guess its hard to sprint and shadow box but it still puts stress on the mind
    and on a big percent of the body if you run and shadow box... you get to enjoy balancing and the feeling of extending and retracting the punches just right...

We live on a bowl.

"this isn't bread crumbs and horseshit" - AJ

"Come out, come out, pu$$y you can't hide from a war" - 50 cent

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ, Gracie Academy HQ
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Elliott View Post

The method Eddie prescribes is a very good example of this. If you have access to an olympic size pool, you are going to swim from side to side of that pool. Watch the clock or use a timer or whatever. You have one minute to swim across the pool, which shouldn't take the entire minute, and then rest until the next minute interval starts. Swim back across and then rest for the rest of that minute. Continue for at least 30 minutes 2-3 times a week, which means you will have swam across the pool 30 times. Increase the time as you improve.

I am going to second the High Intensity Interval training. Hitting close to your max heart rate for a set of 30 minutes will greatly increase your endurance. I personally do kettle bell sets to hit that level. Any exercise that gets your heart rate to peak will suffice. It is worth investing in a heart rate monitor, I recommend the Polar brand. Swimming is a great exercise too. Spending time in the sauna for 30 minutes three times a week has been shown to increase overall red blood cell count, thus allowing your body to distribute oxygen more efficiently.

All ideas that work for me.

Array

School
    Ronin @ Ion BJJ
    It may sound gimmicky, but Bas Rutten’s O2 trainer actually works really well. I use it especially during training camps and find my endurance becomes incredible. I have seasonal asthma and it helps overcome that. www.o2trainer.com

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ
    Swim sprints:

It's a 20 minute program. Once it starts it's over in 20 minutes. The object of this is to train your body to recover from full blown exhaustion in 30 seconds, over and over again.

Find a pool, not one in an apartment complex, a pro one, like 25 meters or so.

Once the seconds hand on the clock hits 12oclock sprint across the pool, just one way. You should get across in about 20-25 seconds, or basically when the seconds hand hits 5 or so. Rest until the seconds clock hits 12oclock again, basically 35 seconds of rest, then swim sprint back across the other way.

So basically every time the seconds hand on the clock hits 12oclock you sprint across the pool. And rest until it hits 12 again. Do this 20 times, hence 20 minutes. The first 8 sprints should be relatively easy. You should be dying around the 13th or 14th sprint.

Swim sprints force you to keep your breathing on point no matter how exhausted you become, this is HUGE. You can't get that benefit with running your sprints.

Do it exactly like this once a week and you will become an exploding machine. Gassing will never become a problem. Takes about a month of this to fully take effect.

Another great thing about this is that you can do them by yourself. You dont need anyone to push you, you push yourself for the rest time. No trainer needed.
    Follow me on Instagram @eddiebravo10p

SUBSCRIBE to my videos youtube.com/twistereddie

Array

School
    breathmindphysineurology-awareness
    Quote Originally Posted by Arman Fathi View Post
    I am going to second the High Intensity Interval training. Hitting close to your max heart rate for a set of 30 minutes will greatly increase your endurance. I personally do kettle bell sets to hit that level. Any exercise that gets your heart rate to peak will suffice. It is worth investing in a heart rate monitor, I recommend the Polar brand. Swimming is a great exercise too. Spending time in the sauna for 30 minutes three times a week has been shown to increase overall red blood cell count, thus allowing your body to distribute oxygen more efficiently.

All ideas that work for me.
    I'll third HIT, and add that when balanced with an hour or more of meditation every night before bed, get breaths really long, the two tactics combine.

But instead of meditation, can say breathwork instead....because until you're averaging 30 second breaths for pretty much the duration of a meditative session, all you are doing is fine tuning breath and seeing marginal benefit. Once your breath averages 45 seconds, then really interesting energythings will start happening. Once you average a minute breath duration, then you really start to get an idea of how much energy that sensate experiences use up. The longest I timed my breaths in my best training was a minute 20, and I perhaps reached a minute 30 average at my peak of breath training.

The big key is not using the airways to actually move the air. Diaphragm and gut movement only, to drive the breath - this helps keep the local air pressure from affecting the olfactory nerves and sending 40 cycles/sec into your midbrain for processing. Roll the inhales and exhales gently into one another, and eventually, once the whole cranial nerve system is pacified - then this sort of de-links you from the perception of breathing - that's how to get a huge great quiet in a meditative session.

When that's combined with hardcore physical training, that's the best of both worlds, the yin and the yang.

Array

School
    One Combat Academy
    Adding to what others in this thread have shared, I'll add my favorite exercise. Like Eddie, I'm a big believer in swimming for endurance though I tend to prefer a mix of sprints and middle distance. Once you get to the point that you can swim fairly efficiently, my favorite "hurts so good" exercise is called the Silver 50. It's a 50 yard (or meter) sprint with some special rules:
    -Taking a big breath, you push off from the wall, underwater. You'll keep your hands above your head in a streamlined position and kick as hard as you can until you make it all the way across the pool.
    -At the wall, you can take one breath but then you'll immediately turn around and swim (I recommend freestyle/front crawl) as fast as you can back to the other side without taking a breath.
    I credit this particular exercise for not only my pretty-decent-for-an-old-guy endurance, but also for my ability to focus and stay calm even when I can't breathe. The anaerobic training component of it is insane. I end every swimming workout with 5 of these, back to back, on the 1:00.

(Obviously if you need to breathe, please do. Don't drown. But if you take 2 breaths, try to take it down to 1, etc.)

Array

School
    breathmindphysineurology-awareness
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bushby View Post
    Adding to what others in this thread have shared, I'll add my favorite exercise. Like Eddie, I'm a big believer in swimming for endurance though I tend to prefer a mix of sprints and middle distance. Once you get to the point that you can swim fairly efficiently, my favorite "hurts so good" exercise is called the Silver 50. It's a 50 yard (or meter) sprint with some special rules:
    -Taking a big breath, you push off from the wall, underwater. You'll keep your hands above your head in a streamlined position and kick as hard as you can until you make it all the way across the pool.
    -At the wall, you can take one breath but then you'll immediately turn around and swim (I recommend freestyle/front crawl) as fast as you can back to the other side without taking a breath.
    I credit this particular exercise for not only my pretty-decent-for-an-old-guy endurance, but also for my ability to focus and stay calm even when I can't breathe. The anaerobic training component of it is insane. I end every swimming workout with 5 of these, back to back, on the 1:00.

(Obviously if you need to breathe, please do. Don't drown. But if you take 2 breaths, try to take it down to 1, etc.)
    Just dont hyperventilate to try and oxygenate yourself before doing this, it can potentially screw up your o2/co2 balance and cause an underwater blackout. Had to have that discussion with my son when he was on swim team and it became all the rage to do underwater laps like that...if anything, meditative breathing before is best.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast