Thread: Getting Started

Array

School
    Pendergrass Academy, Wake Forest

Getting Started

Hey 10th Planet Brothers and Sisters!

Posting from here in North Carolina. I have a background in Judo (Brown), Striking, and BJJ (mostly Gi.) For quite some time I have wanted to follow the 10th Planet path but there is not a school or training group remotely close to me. So, I ponied up my yearly fee, ordered Mastering the Rubber Guard, found 6 like minded individuals, turned my garage into a training room and we are about to embark on our 10th Planet journey starting at square one.

With no here, that we know of us, but us, what would be the top 3 things you would advise me to do? What would be the top 3 things you would advise me to avoid? We just want to learn, do this right and be a true reflection of the system. Thanks for your time!

Array

School
    Indianapolis, IN
    DO's

1) Study the 10th Planet Warm up series, A-H.

2) Subscribe to "Mastering the System" on this website. It's only $5/month and Eddie doesnt hide anything.

3) Train at a 10th Planet gym or 10th Planet seminar every opportunity you can.

Don't

1) Don't let distance be an excuse. If there is a will there is a way. Pool your resources. Hell, the very first training camp in Missouri, there were people sleeping in tents out back of the gym in the winter the whole weekend.

2) Don't train at a gym that doesnt allow you to use rubber guard, lockdown or other 10th Planet known specific technics. That is close minded and in the jiu jitsu world, you will fall behind. You might even add leglocks to that list. If you arent learning all leglocks as a whitebelt, nowadays, you will fall behind. Just another reason why 10P gyms are growing, Eddie is very open and always evolving.

3) Never stop seeking knowledge. As a whitebelt, you should be looking at the technic from the "macro" perspective and become proficient at the technic you are studying. As you, progress in experience and rank, you will begin to look the technic from the "micro" perspective and point out the smallest details to perfect that technic. If anyone ever tells you they know everything there is to know about jiu jitsu, do an about face, walk out the door, do not pass go, and don't look back. lol

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ
    Jay nailed it, welcome to the family
    Follow me on Instagram @eddiebravo10p

SUBSCRIBE to my videos youtube.com/twistereddie

Array

School
    Jay! Thanks so much! I screenshotted your reply and may frame it because you laid that out amazingly well! We have a group of about 7 of us out here in NC that are starting the 10th Planet journey together. I did BJJ in the gi for several years but just felt like it wasn't me. We won't let anything get in our way. I will posts updates from time to time and ask questions time to time. Again, I appreciate your input. It was awesome.

Array

School
    Thanks so much for weighing in Eddie. It's encouraging. I have been fascinated by what you do for years and began incorporating it into my Gi game when I was doing in the Gi BJJ (which I kinda caught occasional flack for) but I am all in on the 10th Planet. Got a training group ready, subscribed, Mastering the Rubberguard Series we are studying and off we go. I will keep you posted and I look forward to seeing you at a seminar or on a pilgrimage to L.A. in the near future. Thanks again!

Array

School
    Indianapolis, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Clayborne View Post
    Jay! Thanks so much! I screenshotted your reply and may frame it because you laid that out amazingly well! We have a group of about 7 of us out here in NC that are starting the 10th Planet journey together. I did BJJ in the gi for several years but just felt like it wasn't me. We won't let anything get in our way. I will posts updates from time to time and ask questions time to time. Again, I appreciate your input. It was awesome.
    Absolutely. Welcome aboard!

Array

School
    10th Planet El Paso
    Quote Originally Posted by jaywatkins67 View Post
    DO's

1) Study the 10th Planet Warm up series, A-H.

2) Subscribe to "Mastering the System" on this website. It's only $5/month and Eddie doesnt hide anything.

3) Train at a 10th Planet gym or 10th Planet seminar every opportunity you can.

Don't

1) Don't let distance be an excuse. If there is a will there is a way. Pool your resources. Hell, the very first training camp in Missouri, there were people sleeping in tents out back of the gym in the winter the whole weekend.

2) Don't train at a gym that doesnt allow you to use rubber guard, lockdown or other 10th Planet known specific technics. That is close minded and in the jiu jitsu world, you will fall behind. You might even add leglocks to that list. If you arent learning all leglocks as a whitebelt, nowadays, you will fall behind. Just another reason why 10P gyms are growing, Eddie is very open and always evolving.

3) Never stop seeking knowledge. As a whitebelt, you should be looking at the technic from the "macro" perspective and become proficient at the technic you are studying. As you, progress in experience and rank, you will begin to look the technic from the "micro" perspective and point out the smallest details to perfect that technic. If anyone ever tells you they know everything there is to know about jiu jitsu, do an about face, walk out the door, do not pass go, and don't look back. lol
    Amen

Array

School
    Hey, what part of North Carolina are you in?

Array

School
    Near Raleigh. Greensboro isn't too far away to get some training in. I would love to connect with some others in NC to learn and grow with.

Array

School
    Damn I haven’t checked back in a minute.....but yeah I’m with you. I was recently looking to round up a few people to train with when schedules permit. Cool Raleigh is about 45 minutes away-not a problem at all. I’ve tried a few schools around here and when they see mission control they get an allergic reaction, so I figured I’d have to get more resourceful to find more enlightened people to train with.