Array

School
    Absolute MMA Shanghai

Opening a Jiu Jitsu Academy - Critical Considerations

Hi Guys and Gals,

So Ive been hanging out over here in Shanghai for the better part of a decade. Its great, I love it.

I love Jiu Jitsu and Ive been training about 5 years now, Im a purple belt under Ralf Warneking.... one of Eddies early Black Belts. Ive been kicking around the idea of starting up a school over here (or somewhere) within the next couple years.

What are some critical factors to consider before you invest your hard earned money?

I am curious what do you guys think is a reasonable financial basis to start from?

For example: have enough for school opening, renovations, and then like 1 years rent being covered?

Do you guys recommend finding partners to share some of the risks and benefits? Or try to go it alone?

Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Tyler

Array

School
    BJJ & 10P Ronin
    I opened up my own BJJ School this year and was very fortunate to have good people around me to support my plans. I was operating as a twice a week open mat style class for 1 year before that to gauge interest and whether the investment would be worth it past that first. I only opened a school myself due to being so far away from my own club and couldn't make it there regularly anymore.

Array

School
    HQ
    Hey Tyler, you'll be better off direct messaging a moon head about your question. I'm assuming that less than 1 percent of the people here have an educated take on running a business, let alone running one in China.

P.S., tell Saulo and Kemal that Howard says hi

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ
    You must now be a 10P Black Belt to open a 10P Moon. Focus on that first.
    Follow me on Instagram @eddiebravo10p

SUBSCRIBE to my videos youtube.com/twistereddie

Array

School
    Absolute MMA Shanghai
    Yeah I think that makes a lot of sense all things considered Eddie. We dont really need heavy expansion anymore, now that 10P is solidly established its probably more important to focus on quality and consistency.

In the mean time I'll be working on my coaching skills, trying to learn about business and how to build a community. I'll reach out and find some mentors and hopefully they can help put me on the right track.

Any other skills you guys think are important in the mean time?

Thanks guys and thanks Eddie