Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Array

School
    10th Planet Ronin

What to Do When They Pass Over Your Leg in Rubber Guard

Hey guys. So when I get some people in rubber guard they are trying to pin my leg and go around it to pass, especially if I am in New Jersey. I have been drilling the Carnie and Mono Control setup. I'm having a lot of success with this but sometimes they still get around. Just wondering if there are any other suggestions on what to try in this situation.

Array

School
    10P Ronin
    Maybe can check if your bottom leg underneath him is hooking his leg sufficiently and your top knee is driving sufficient pressure downwards to pin him ? But if your training partners are catching on to your paths then they might anticipate it earlier on in the sequence already. I've been playing with going carni via Gogo. Keeps their minds screwed abit making them think i'm going Gogo then switching to carni.

Array

School
    Reppin 10thP Ronin
    Dont forget to flare out the gogo leg,helps put pressure down while you raise the arm.

Array

School
    HQ
    You're behind in the race if you haven't already cleared the neck while your training partner threatens to step over that leg. Meathook to stall the pass, shimmy back to the desired angle, clear the neck/kung-fu move, go for the Carni if that is your thing.

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur and 10th Planet Muscle Shoals
    Quote Originally Posted by Royce Kim View Post
    You're behind in the race if you haven't already cleared the neck while your training partner threatens to step over that leg. Meathook to stall the pass, shimmy back to the desired angle, clear the neck/kung-fu move, go for the Carni if that is your thing.

100%. You should have already been recovering your guard. You just got passed.
    "The lockdown is not the 10th Planet gospel; an open mind is the 10th Planet gospel."
    - Amir Allam

Please stop by and check out my site

Array

School
    10th Planet Ronin
    Thanks guys! Some good advice I can put into action!

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ
    One of the most common mistakes a beginner rubber guard player makes in 3/4 guard is leaving the bottom leg hanging loose. It should be constantly pulling out and squeezing into your opponent’s body so that passing it is as difficult as possible. At the same time you should be doing everything you can to clear the neck with a flip or clearing it the old fashioned way. Also, knowing when you lost the race and aborting Rubber Guard To 1/4 or 1/2 Guard is massive as well, so that you at least don’t get passed. THIS PARAGRAPH IS CRUCIAL.
    Follow me on Instagram @eddiebravo10p

SUBSCRIBE to my videos youtube.com/twistereddie

Array

School
    10th Planet Ronin
    Thanks Eddie! I'm gonna work on that!

Array

School
    10th Planet San Francisco
    The more I have worked on rubber guard the more I have learned to focus on one key detail before going for mission control. The detail is securing the non rubber guard leg with a foot on the hip of the opponent tightly....if that foot is on the hip and you get an overhook then you can go straight to new york....

a lot of guys are wise to rubber guard and will slip out at various stages, that is the game...

Array

School
    10th Planet Freaks
    The way I deal with this is to always only bring my free knee into my own chest. I no longer pinch it into them at all. In fact I purposely lay it on the mat so I can maintain a better side angle and then bring it straight in to my own chest. When you do this there is no pass. They can’t catch up to your knee. Then you play the game of not letting them pull out or turn omoplata so you are then using your free side to maintain control of their free shoulder. This is the basis of my way of playing RG. I don’t clear the head to attack the near side, instead I always focus on controlling the far side and keeping them in between not being able to pass or pull out while looking for the finish.
    https://www.facebook.com/ben.eddy.56 insta #jesushadamoustache

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast