Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)

Full time Job to Full/Part time Moon head?

One of my current dreams is to one day open a school. Even if I'm not the head instructor. I just want to open a school so others can benefit from the martial arts that have changed so many lives. I want to leave a positive impact in the world, and I feel like martial arts is one way to share positivity.

Anyhow, I'm curious to find out how our moon heads transitioned from full time 9-5 work into full time business ownership. Was it a head first dive? Did you save up money or did you get a business loan? Did you hold down a full time job and teach on the side? Or did you just go head first straight out of highschool/college?

I appreciate any responses.

Array

School
    10th Planet O'Fallon, IL
    I've been working full-time and training part time for a long time now. I just got opened up my own commercial school and have enough support from students that I can afford to take at least one day off from teaching during the week. I'm a 35yr old Strategic Management Consultant to the government and I make great money. My wife also makes about as much as I do, so we can afford to open up a school part-time without taking out any loans. However, we're both career oriented and have 2yr old twins, so we're family driven now more than ever. She's a huge supporter of my dreams to open a school and eventually teach full-time.

For now, the school can't support our current budget for me to quit work completely. So I'm working with my firm to cut back on hours from 8-10hr days to at least 6hr days, with a plan to drop down to about 4hr days eventually. If I can cut my time in half right now, I can easily afford to teach nearly full-time and have a part-time job that covers the rest. Eventually, the school will build up enough for me to quit, but right now, I've got my family to worry about and make sure that my wife stays happy too. Happy wife, happy life kind of thing. Divorce is expensive and I love my kids more than anything, so I'm working on a strategy and keeping my family informed and in agreement to keep all things in line. It's a delicate balancing act, but eventually, everything will fall into place.

Anyone have any advice for me, please let me know...I'm always open to ideas on how to achieve the above stated dream faster than idealized.

Array

School
    Indianapolis, IN
    Its a process. I just retired from the Army so I do have an income plus I'm doing some other stuff until the gym is able to support my budget. But the gym is the priority regardless of what other side jobs I have. I'd suggest initially, take it slow. Avoid debt if at all possible. Maybe as a last resort. Market, market, market. Utilize the social media and take advantage of the free advertising in order to keep costs down. as far as the gym itself, location, location, location. next, reliable instructors that provide quality instruction with a solid schedule. people don't like change which includes changing the schedule or continually changing instructors.

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by David Rosado View Post
    One of my current dreams is to one day open a school. Even if I'm not the head instructor. I just want to open a school so others can benefit from the martial arts that have changed so many lives. I want to leave a positive impact in the world, and I feel like martial arts is one way to share positivity.

Anyhow, I'm curious to find out how our moon heads transitioned from full time 9-5 work into full time business ownership. Was it a head first dive? Did you save up money or did you get a business loan? Did you hold down a full time job and teach on the side? Or did you just go head first straight out of highschool/college?

I appreciate any responses.
    Talk to Josh Passini, that dudes been through the fire and back, and then back through the fire once more. The dude works a fulltime day job, teaches full-time, then works as the head of security for a night club in the chicagland area. He's a fucking savage

Array

School
    10th Planet Indianapolis
    Josh Passini has always impressed me with his dedication! A true fucking savage for sure!

Well, it is always better to start own business, since you have brighter future with that. However, it might be difficult at the beginning! The most interesting thing that money is not a problem, since you can take loans online or from banks. But I would not recommend to deal with banks, better to use online companies like http://paperless-loan.com/, where you can money immediately! I think it is a first step you should do in order to develop your business idea!