Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by VJ Bella View Post
    Funny...when i went to school the wrestling team was all the meatheads who weren't athletic enough to make the basketball team...lmao.
    What Collegiate Division 1 program was this at?

Array

School
    Dark Horse SWA\10th Planet Bear DE
    Nah not div1...hs..obviously the d-1 guys got skills.

Nah not div1...hs..obviously the d-1 guys got skills.
    Then why on earth did you bother with a comment from High school after quoting what I was saying about D1 wrestlers?

Array

School
    Relax dude...I was makin a joke...try not to take this shit so seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Herzog View Post
    I think its more about control. A good wrestler can dictate where the fight actually takes place. If a decent wrestlers want to take the fight to the ground he can do so. If he wants to keep it standing he can use his wrestling to keep it there. Its a very valuable and versatile set of skills to have, not to mention it teaches great work ethic even at a young age. I agree with Joe defiantly the best base for MMA
    +1

But with that being said though, I do also think that wrestling takedowns in MMA are overrated. I you get the takedown, good, you dictated where the fight is going. But if you can't use any passes and or controls to either ground and pound seriously or submit, then it should barely hit the scorecards.

MMA Wrestlers who turn the fight into a wrestling match are missing the point. Wrestling is a good base, but Jiu jitsu and striking are what make the sport.

Array

School
    Im with you sam...i dont like watching the wrestlers fight...I think they are boring. That being said...if you cant get a takedown you really cant use your jiu jitsu...so i think its definately a good skill to have to keep your opponent on the ground (control).

Array

School
    Triple Threat Combat Sports / Yamasaki Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Academy Delaware
    Im with you sam...i dont like watching the wrestlers fight...I think they are boring. That being said...if you cant get a takedown you really cant use your jiu jitsu...so i think its definately a good skill to have to keep your opponent on the ground (control).
    You can still score a good takedown without wrestling.....my favrite is the Over Hand Left or Head Kick

Yes, my favorite takedown is also the knockdown

Array

School
    10th Planet Van Nuys
    Wrestling is basically Lawyers. You have to have it, because the other party has it. If both parties showed up in court with no lawyers and presented their cases to the judge or jury it would be even ground however if one party brings a lawyer, it usually ends up being a lopsided decision. Same with wrestling, Paul Daley Scott Smith fight, both parties show with no lawyers, Daley KTFOs Smith. Daley vs Koschek, Kosh brings his lawyer with him, lays on top of Daley while talking shit to his ears for all 3 rounds which Daley loses his temper which costs him the fight and his UFC career, sounds familiar?

Array

School
    10th Planet & Nova Uniao
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Herzog View Post
    I think its more about control. A good wrestler can dictate where the fight actually takes place. If a decent wrestlers want to take the fight to the ground he can do so. If he wants to keep it standing he can use his wrestling to keep it there. Its a very valuable and versatile set of skills to have, not to mention it teaches great work ethic even at a young age. I agree with Joe defiantly the best base for MMA
    +1

A good wrestler will also have exellent ground control and with a basic understanding of some submissions can have a very dominating top game in mma or jiu jitsu. I wrestled folk/greco/and freestyle for 8 years before i got into jits and the mat time from that alone allowed me to dominate and control alot blue and purple belts right off the bat. The typical wrestling practice lasts 3 to 5hours and takes place 5 days a week plus most programs also add in a weight training program on top of those practices, that is alot of time spent grappling, more so then your average jiu jitsu classes. The problem with wrestlers transitioning into MMA or Jiu-Jitsu is that if they aren't open minded, they will just stick with the same game and never evolve. They'll use the same strstegy of get the takedown then use the same choke or kimora that they always use over and over and since it's successful they will delay evolving their game, especially their bottom game. I belive wrestling is a necessity for MMA and can only improve someones jits game.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast