Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Array

School
    10th Planet & Nova Uniao
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Bergeron View Post
    +1

But with that being said though, I do also think that wrestling takedowns in MMA are overrated. I you get the takedown, good, you dictated where the fight is going. But if you can't use any passes and or controls to either ground and pound seriously or submit, then it should barely hit the scorecards.

MMA Wrestlers who turn the fight into a wrestling match are missing the point. Wrestling is a good base, but Jiu jitsu and striking are what make the sport.
    A good and smart wrestler will get the pass during the takedown. Thats why you rarely see Randy in the guard he almost always gets side control or knee on belly off of a takedown. Strikers and jiu-jitsu guys who let themselves be held down by wrestlers are missing the point too and are as much to blame for a boring fight as the wrestler holding them down.

Array

School
    10th Planet & Nova Uniao
    Quote Originally Posted by VJ Bella View Post
    Funny...when i went to school the wrestling team was all the meatheads who weren't athletic enough to make the basketball team...lmao.
    Well, that's the opposite of most wrestling programs. Wrestlers in general are usually the most athletic out of school sports programs. When I wrestled we practiced 5 days a week for 3 to 5 hours a day on top of that we had weight training in the mornings before school, a duel a week (A team vs team match), and a tournament every sat. If we did poorly at a duel or tournament then we'd have a 2 hour midnight practice as punisment and we'd still have to be back the next morning for weight training. The guys who played basketball were no where even close to the same level of athleticism that the wrestlers were on.

Array

School
    10th Planet Hartford
    To me boxing,muay thai,and jiu jitsu are like pieces of cut out paper u need to glue on a biger piece of paper (MMA) and wrestiling is like the glue!!!

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago
    A wrestlers base and body awareness is a very important tool to have. I may be biased (midwestern Wrestling family,the only sport in the house growing up)but it saved my ass in the begining stages of comp. Combining that with the other skills is huge. Plus what you said free training, experience, and more mat time. Dont see any down sides.

Array

School
    10th Planet Phoenix
    What about mma for wraslin'?
    <object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nBRZ0wLqMPM?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nBRZ0wLqMPM?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Array

School
    KCBJJ
    /\ /\ /\ /\

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123