Array

School
    Absolute MMA Shanghai

Wing Chun + BJJ vs MMA - Ground and Pound - Full Guard

Hey Guys,

In this series I plan to explore the relationship between Wing chun and BJJ in various standup and ground fighting positions found in MMA matches and self defense scenarios. I believe that these two styles can work well and complement each others weaknesses.

First we will look at the the Full Guard vs MMA Ground and Pound

Comments, Questions, Crits
    All Welcome

Array

School
    breathmindphysineurology-awareness
    Awesome stuff!

Great video! I believe we will see similar stuff applied by Tony in the future.

Grappling in general, being more close-distance-focused, blends well with Wing Chun techniques since it is also more close-distance-oriented, unlike other stand-up striking which wants to create more distance, counter-opportunities, etc. Other striking arts have their advantages in other areas.

Combined correctly on the ground or even in clinching, one can open up the other and vice versa, in other words striking-threats enabling submissions and submission-threats transitioning to fast close-distance striking. As far as stand-up is concerned I would explore Judo aswell, since drawing your opponent in could enable some throws which could help transitioning to the preferred ground-positions for these Wing Chun/BJJ-applications.

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ
    When I was a blue belt a wing chun guy who was also a blue belt talked about creating Wing Jitsu, which was about trapping hands and sticking hands in the mount and in guard. It could work imo
    Follow me on Instagram @eddiebravo10p

SUBSCRIBE to my videos youtube.com/twistereddie

Array

School
    Absolute MMA Shanghai
    Yeah, Ive heard you talk about your wing chun days as well haha.
    Im going to be looking at how the two art could mix and hely each other. I stopped doing WC for a few years and just got back into it after my back injury. I had a pinched nerve and couldnt walk for two months, about a year ago now.

Im glad to be back on the mats, but its hard knowing all the time I lost and the skill I could have gained.

Sorry for delayed reaction I don't read forums as often, but I am an avid enthusiast and practitioner of both wing chun and BJJ. Thanks for the video posted above and exploration of concepts. I've been kicking those around for a while.

First off, closed guard and wing chun. The skillsets built in wing chun on the bridge with wrist and forearm detection and reaction are always applicable in grip fighting from any position, and as you demonstrate work with standard tan, bong, fuk for dealing with punches. However, you have two opposing fundamentals going on from closed guard - wing chun's primary idea is centerline and striking. For BJJ, getting offline off of centerline from closed guard is the predecessor for setting up attacks.

However, if you go deeper into wing chun concepts, like my lineage teaches, centerline when you add the detail of a height reference, basically connects 3 centers of gravity of the human body, or the 3 dan tiens. The top is the head area, or the upper lip right under the nose, the middle is the chest or mid sternum area, and the lower is 3 inches below the belly button. If you start to think of centerline as the control of those 3 primary areas it sets off all sorts of fireworks mentally IMO.

For instance, centerline theory from wing chun focused on the upper dan tien area and the control of it and attacks basically consist of the rubber guard path.

Centerline theory focused on the lower dan tien area and the control of it and attacks basically consist of lockdown half path.

To me centerline theory focused on the middle area of the body consist of more of my butterfly guard game.

This is just guard.

If you go to considering the back, centerline principles would consist of the concept of back control, the truck, and twister control and the control of the opponents center thru the transition in these positions.

The overall goal of wing chun and the overall goal of BJJ are different IMO. For instance, chi sau or sticking hands - in wing chun there is attachment to the opponent thru sticking on more of a temporary goal, to control the opponents center to hit. In BJJ, it is to control to clinch.

IMO the real gold in this type of comparison and development of parallel skills lies in Combat Jiu Jitsu. Keep developing my friend it is a great path.

looks interesting. Want to see it against other opponents as well.

In Round 4 when you kicked him away for the stand-up it looked like he slid backwards a bit. I don't think a normal MMA mat (UFC) is that slippery.