Array

School
    10th Planet Ronin

Gracie Combatives

Anybody ever tried the Gracie Combatives course? If so was it worth it

Array

School
    Family Combat Fitness
    I do not go to a 10p school. We do the Gracie combative. It is mostly self defense. If you complete it you get a white belt with a blue stripe. I work my 10p stuff and get odd looks it is funny. I can send pics of my card if wish.

Array

School
    10th Planet Ronin
    White belt with blue stripe? What that like of a blue belt?

Array

School
    Family Combat Fitness
    They don’t give full blue till you go to a certified training center. You have to meet different requirements. The white with blue is not a true blue belt.

Array

School
    Steel City MMA
    I trained at a CTC for five years, until recently. The white and blue belt is the Combatives belt, which you receive for passing your Combatives test. You have to do six months to a year (instructor's discrection, I believe) of Master Cycle classes and sparring to receive your full blue belt.

As for whether or not it is worth it, it definitely won't help you beat other BJJ practitioners in a roll or tournament setting, but isn't really meant for that. It will give you a good sense of what it's like to use BJJ against strikes, as well as a solid (albeit small) foundation of knowledge to build upon. Some of the techniques are useful in all situations, such as the Elbow Escape and Double Underhook guard pass, while others are specific to situations where your opponent is intent on striking you.

I liked Combatives, and even after I had earned my blue and purple belts I still continued to attend every Combatives class.

I just joined the 10th Planet online videos and just purchased the GJJ Combative Videos. What I having trouble with the 10th P site is how do I get started in a meaning fashion I just see a bunch of videos and not much direction.

How are you adding in the 10th P videos a any ideas or thoughts of pitfalls to avoid.

Array

School
    10th Planet Coquitlam
    Quote Originally Posted by csvazquez View Post
    How are you adding in the 10th P videos a any ideas or thoughts of pitfalls to avoid.
    Watching each months MTS is like a virtual seminar with Master Eddie. I would watch each new one and follow along as best as possible at the beginning. I would also try and follow along with the warmups or at least to the White Belt Wall. If you are doing GC I would recommend watching a lot of the LockDown stuff to get a base to start expanding from. After you have the lockdown flows down it will be easier to see where rubberguard, twister and other stuff will fit in.

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ, Gracie Academy HQ
    As someone that trains at both HQ’s I highly highly recommend learning the guard punch block series in particular before delving into rubber guard. The rubber guard builds right upon it. The elevator sweep will tie in with the Jean Jacques butterfly variations, the pyramid in the 10th planet System is basically the same position as the 1.5 triangle setup in the Gracie system. The mount control in combatives as well as the mount escapes is essential. Build your game off combatives as a quick go-to reference then take the red pill as you invest in the 10th planet system.

The Gracie’s are the Jedi Temple, the 10th Planet clan is the Death Star. Both represent their respective ends of the force, both are to be studied to become a complete Jedi. Do not be fooled into thinking the Gracies have nothing of value. They are the best for straight-up defense. When you have that fundamental base and wanna add the real deal offensive firepower tho, you gotta hit up the conspiracy theorists.
    Last edited by Arman Fathi; 03-24-2019 at 10:43 PM.

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ, Gracie Academy HQ
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Wilhelm View Post

As for whether or not it is worth it, it definitely won't help you beat other BJJ practitioners in a roll or tournament setting, but isn't really meant for that.
    I wholeheartedly disagree. The Gracie shit works beautifully on people particularly if they don’t know it, even if they’re high level. Depends on the reflex you’ve developed on Combatives and how you’ve integrated in the rest of your game. I use many of the moves in it daily, including at 10pHQ where it’s been a lifesaver oftentimes.

It’s basic Jiu Jitsu, elbow escapes and controls and the like. How does that not work in tournaments or rolls?
    Last edited by Arman Fathi; 03-31-2019 at 07:20 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast