Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Array

School
    Steel City MMA
    Quote Originally Posted by Arman Fathi View Post
    I wholeheartedly disagree. The Gracie shit works beautifully on people particularly if don’t know it, even if they’re high level. Depends on the reflex you’ve developed on Combatives and how you’ve integrated in the rest of your game. I use many of the moves in it daily, including at 10pHQ where it’s been a lifesaver oftentimes.

It’s basic Jiu Jitsu, elbow escapes and controls and the like. How does that not work in tournaments or rolls?
    Yes, I concede that the elbow escapes are always useful. Sometimes I make use of Headlock Escape 1, also. I am not saying that it's useless, but it is clearly a cirriculum designed for opponents who are displaying a very specific type of action / reaction. Very few people exhibit these same reactions during rolls or in a tournament, in my experience. On the other hand, it could be an incredible coincidence that every person I have ever met who is trained solely in Combatives gets crushed in rolls and tournaments against people of their same rank.

Edit: After re-reading my original post, I have to say that if you read my post, you clearly missed the part where I said that some techniques are always useful, and gave examples. If this is about whether some of Gracie Combatives is useful in rolls (which it is), or ALL of Gracie Combatives is useful in rolls (which it isn't), then I would be happy to cite examples of techniques which are clearly not useful.
    Last edited by Charles Wilhelm; 03-31-2019 at 04:20 PM.

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ, Gracie Academy HQ
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Wilhelm View Post
    Yes, I concede that the elbow escapes are always useful. Sometimes I make use of Headlock Escape 1, also. I am not saying that it's useless, but it is clearly a cirriculum designed for opponents who are displaying a very specific type of action / reaction. Very few people exhibit these same reactions during rolls or in a tournament, in my experience. On the other hand, it could be an incredible coincidence that every person I have ever met who is trained solely in Combatives gets crushed in rolls and tournaments against people of their same rank.

Edit: After re-reading my original post, I have to say that if you read my post, you clearly missed the part where I said that some techniques are always useful, and gave examples. If this is about whether some of Gracie Combatives is useful in rolls (which it is), or ALL of Gracie Combatives is useful in rolls (which it isn't), then I would be happy to cite examples of techniques which are clearly not useful.
    All of them are useful in context, in the right situaysh. My overarching point is that tenth planet builds on the basics of Combatives beautifully. They should both be learned, no question. Not even a shadow of a doubt. Stage 5 punch defense with feet on the hips? This is where all guard players must conceptually start at. A turn of the hips is all you need for a de la riva or spiral guard. The bullfighter pass in the warmups addresses this. So we learn counters of the basics in 10p. Combatives teaches to not give your back in side control and instead turn into the guy? �� boom ��Twister side control. Eddie has very much talked about how it takes advantage of obeying Jiu Jitsu law. Jiu Jitsu law is punch defense, distance management, energy efficiency, Gracie diet. Ok we can argue that last one, the others are goals. Literally everything in Combatives can prepare you all you need to get by in a scrap. Not an mma fight, not a Jiu Jitsu tournament, a scrap with an uneducated goon. That’s their mission and they do it right, just as 10p fulfills their role in the universe as the Death Star. It should be learned and studied by everyone if for no other reason than to know what to look for and anticipate in your future attacks if you know they come exclusively from that school of thought.
    Last edited by Arman Fathi; 03-31-2019 at 07:16 PM.

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ
    As far as MTS direction goes, start with rubber guard and lockdown half. Having a good triangle and a good electric chair in your arsenal early is vital
    Follow me on Instagram @eddiebravo10p

SUBSCRIBE to my videos youtube.com/twistereddie

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12