Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Troubleshooting - The Whip Up

I find it difficult to implement the whip up. Once I get the lockdown and the double underhooks I often find myself back on the ground and therefore I need to put in place the whip up. Unfortunately, however, my opponent often clings to me with all his weight creating two problems:
    1 I can't whip up because it's tight with all its strength and its weight on me
    2 Having both underhooks I have both arms just above the height of his hips and this causes my neck to remain exposed and consequently I often suffer from the ezechiel choke.

What am I doing wrong?
    Is there any alternative to the whip up in the situation where I have lockdown and underhooks but is still crushed on the ground?

I am wondering the same thing, and was going to ask at the Amsterdam 10th planet camp. Same thing with these big dutch dudes, especially in gi, getting smashed and having a hard time getting the whip up, as well as the whip down. Stuck flat on my back.

Array

School
    10th Planet Birmingham / Banbury uk
    I find with the bigger dudes just be patient and wait for them to start their escape you don't want to risk losing your double UH and you are safe, they are more likely to pressure down if they feel you struggling - as soon a you have space - whip, suck uppercut duck....

see you in The Dam

my problem is that i can't really wait for their move to stay back on the ground with the lockdown and double underhooks because besides being harmless i can't defend my neck which is easy prey for ezechiel choke

Array

School
    10th Planet Birmingham / Banbury uk
    and you cant whip them as they are moving into the Ezekiel, that should be the time to blast them as I would expect the hips to move up? I suppose as you already have the underhooks its just about getting on to your side of you back right?

maybe try this

https://youtu.be/EYe1HC9tVkA

Array

School
    10th Planet Springfield MA
    Try pinching your knees and bringing them to your chest, like you're trying to roll your hips up, to help get their weight up over your head and not settled heavy on you. Once their weight is up over your head then you should be able to execute the rest of your whip up and get to your side.
    Head Instructor - 10th Planet Springfield MA
    LIKE 10th Planet Springfield MA on Facebook: www.facebook.com/10pSpringfieldMA
    Follow us on Instagram: @10pSpringfieldMA
    www.10thplanetspringfieldma.com

Array

School
    Steel City MMA
    This sounds like the worst case scenario. You're wearing the gi. Your opponent is massive. They're being heavy and using all of their strength to squeeze in top half. You have double underhooks and can't move them at all.

Okay, some possible solutions. If you're rolling with someone who hits you with the Ezequiel from here, then perhaps try to avoid starting your lockdown game from Pre-Stomp against them, or play a different type of half guard with these guys. Also, if, like in the video linked above, you are able to underhook their leg then you can start Dipsetting to get on to your side. The last thing that I can think of off the top of my head right now is that assuming they are hugging your neck with their right arm, really extend the lockdown to drag them as far south as you can, while keeping your underhooks as high up into their armpits as possible so that when that left arm starts making it's move towards your neck, you can wrap it with an overhook and really fold it in on them to create the angle to start a COP sweep.

Best of luck!

Array

School
    isshinryu karate eashamptom
    the answer to both of your problems probably has more to do with head position relative to your opponent than you realize. basically.. if your opponents head is on the same plane or lower than yours you will have issues. however if you can get his head above yours and get as far underneath as possible you will have more success especially if you follow pats advice about bringing his weight up and over your head before whipping to the side. Additionally: once you get good at this you can even sweep a guy who's trying an ezekiel just via whipping the lockdown to either side because to choke you they have no base with their hands when you attempt to sweep. if it's impossible still you must use a stomp to get an outside butterfly hook underneath. lastly- remember when you're playing lockdown you need to get underneath your opponents hips as much as possible hence my opening statement about head position below his..get under these guys. good luck

Home Remodeling in Columbia

Bathroom Remodeling in Columbia is an intimidating job having so many elements involved in its completion. Whether it is a simple sink installation or a complex task like remodeling the whole bathroom, it should be dealt with by professional hands. Bathroom Remodeling in Columbia holds the distinction of serving residents of South Carolina.
    Please visit our Website
    http://kjconstructionandroofing.com/...g-in-columbia/
    #HomeRemodelinginColumbia

Thanks dudes for the advices I'll try them as soon as possible!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast