Array

School
    10th Planet Birmingham / Banbury uk

Lockdown - Creating space

morning team,

I did my first IBJJF tournament in ages on Saturday and my first at Purple belt and found it really hard to get any space and movement once I was down on points, I felt fine controlling the position, (mainly lockdown) but every time I tried to whip I was giving space and they would advance, so i would spend the next 30 seconds get back to lockdown.

Although I'm not a fan of the IBJJF rules set in the UK comps are few and far between so if you want to stay active you need to play them.

Does anyone have any tips in moving the bigger guys that are just happy to stick to you and ride the clock

cheers

Array

School
    Capital MMA, Burke, VA
    x2. This is a very timely post for me. I can't do the whip, and I was just giving them opportunities to advance, or I was just tiring myself out.

Array

School
    10th Planet Ronin
    try using your elbow or frame out to create space.

Array

School
    10th Planet Dublin, Ireland
    Have you got double unders? I'm usually move between whip up, whip down, and crunching my knees to my chest til I can find a bit of space.

If he takes an underhook and I can't recover it, I'm usually stomping to butterhalf or butterfly

Array

School
    Ronin
    This is a great question! How are they advancing? To side control, via a no-hand pass?

Not sure how much bigger the people are, but usually the whip is the tool to move people, side to side, like Whip Down, get the underhook and get on your side (remember Whip-Suck-Upper Cut-Duck and then, Bump-Slide-Whip-Take out that far post).

Also are you flat on your back? Getting to your side and threatening Dog Fight, or Old School Sweeps helps to move people, as you can come back to Plan B.

Basically working Warmups E.

Also the Stomp game (F1/F2) has to be top shelf (MINE SUCKS), but I have been working that when guys stall out. And while I don't always get into the Cocoon, I normally can reset the position and re-enter on the half-guard and try to get more underneath, which is usually the problem for pulling off the lockdown half. Being too flat will kill you.

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ
    Focus on the electric chair, E4. And electric stone.
    Follow me on Instagram @eddiebravo10p

SUBSCRIBE to my videos youtube.com/twistereddie

Array

School
    Steel City MMA
    Do you have any footage from your matches where this was happening?

Array

School
    10th Planet Ronin
    You can go to a 10th Planet school and see it all day. Also you can buy the Eddie Bravo Twister dvd and see some good match or Mastering the rubberguard book/dvd and Nastering the Twister book/dvd. You will learn a lot from either the book or dvd. If you want to learn and can't travel Mastering the system is only 5 buck a month.

Array

School
    Summit City Submissions
    Were you whipping up or whipping down? Eddie suggested E4 which is a whip down sequence from what I saw Mike Dewitt demonstrate and that is my preferred method of creating movement more so than space. If your whip down or whip up is not sufficient to move bigger guys, I recommend switching with the stomp to butterfly guard.