Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Array

School
    Gracie Barra Oviedo 10th Planet Atlantic Beach

Don't Panic...I'm having panic attacks.

Anyone else get panic attacks while rolling. I get them when I am rolling with heavy guys. Like 220lbs. If I'm fresh no big deal but if its at the end or I just had a battle and I'm spent and they get north south and just look to hold it...I start to freak out. If I don't tap irrational fear sets in. Sometimes I tap just to get out even though I'm in no danger. Anyone else have to deal with this?

I have a training partner who has that issue, so if you figure out anything that helps you please let me know so I can pass it on. It happens to him frequently when rolling with me (250 lbs) or another person of similar weight (180 lbs) if he is really tired.

Array

School
    West coast fight team
    Not really the rest of us here are all ninja type and we never get tapped or stressed..lol. Not really just have fun doing it. I just smile and give my partner a high five when I get tapped.

Array

School
    SimGo Cobra Kai
    I used to get them when I couldn't see while rolling. As mean as it sounds, the way my coach broke me was by not stopping if I tapped to a non submission

Array

School
    Rock ministries of philadelphia/ 10th planet Philly hotbox
    them moments when youre dead tired is when you can take your jiu jitsu to the next level, you wont have the energy to muscle an escape, so you better do the escape technique perfect. I always roll till its time to leave, even after getting trashed, every sub we are right back at it less then 5 secs later.

Array

School
    In my mind
    I have a 60 year old guy who had horrible panic attacks and bad claustrophobia a year ago. I have no medical training other than some combat medic classes, but here's how we fixed him. I first started him with shrimps and top control positions 1-4 ( head and arm, modified kesa, far arm control, twister side to mount). At first I let him use an old canvas punching bag and adjusted his position. Then he'd run through them on me. I'd hover above him and run my reps. He could go about 30 seconds for a few weeks. I slowly started pressure and increased over time. Anytime he'd start a panic attack I'd talk to him and assure him he was ok but eventually held position. He loves rolling with tennis balls to work his position and pressure. We've done that for about a year and a half now and now rolls with anyone through the door and hasn't had an attack in months. Not sure any of that helps but hopefully.

Array

School
    Gracie Barra Oviedo 10th Planet Atlantic Beach
    It's totally mental. Isuddenly feel like I can't breath. I started getting them when my mom died from cancer 2 years ago. I get them at night too but can calm myself through meditation techniques. Much harder to do when I'm also trying to keep a skilled heavyweight from squashing me. Sometimes I give a sub just to get out from under because it's not claustrophobic defending an arm bar or a back attack. Which I've become quite good at defending both so silver lining... lol

Array

School
    Frostbite Vale-Tudo
    A lot of people will tell you to let yourself get put into bad positions, and practice escapes, and working your way out. One thing I've done is let myself get put into bad positions, and then force myself to relax. Just accepting the position, defending subs, and surviving, but not working to escape. I always have the mindset that 1) it's just a game, 2) It's temporary, 3) I'm OK!!!!

My wife, on the other hand, has panic attacks and claustrophobia issues on the mat. It's something she struggles with. I always try to remind her, it's only temporary, everything's ok! It's tougher for her to relax in these positions.

Array

School
    NextGen MMA/Ronin
    I have panic attacks before tournaments - puking, crying, shaking, the works. Then I step onto the mat and blackout like Will Ferrell does in Old School when he's on the debate team. When I rewatch my matches and look at my face...looks like nobody's home. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etBRqzt7OqY

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu
    That has happened to me. I just try to breathe through it and bait them to move so I feel less claustrophobic
    #10thplanetFREAKS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast