Array

School
    10th Planet Jacksonville

Anyone ever train with rib pain / costochondritis?

So after a few weeks of training my rib cage started feeling sore when I took a deep breath or I put pressure near my sternum. It looks like I got costochondritis which is inflamed cartilage. Probably due to being on bottom in side control so much.

The first time I woke up one morning and it felt like I got hit by a truck. I waited a few days and the pain went down a lot so I went back to class. A moderate amount of pain was there any time someone had pressure on my chest. It doesn't get worse and worse with more and more pressure, it's just a constant pain. I've now been out of class 4-5 days and it's sorta staying the same.

I've read differing reports from people ranging from it healing itself in a week to it remaining a problem for years.

I'm considering just training through the pain if it doesn't go away soon.

Thoughts? Similar experiences?

Array

School
    AFS Academy/10th Planet Richmond, Richmond, Ky.
    Yes. I've had it as have several of my students over the years. It feels like a rib is broke/fractured or dislocated. While it's a good idea to always check those thing to at least rule that out, we all just train around it the best we can and it eventually goes away. Not fun, for sure. Good luck!

Array

School
    Team Nogueira Dubai
    I popped 2 of my floating ribs around 6 years ago in training and unfortunately I still feel discomfort and sometimes pain in my ribs, it goes all the way to my back! I spoke to a doctor about it a while ago and he just told me that when you get a rib injury its hard for it to heal properly because the rib cage is constantly expanding and contracting.. I just rested for a while and went back to training.. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I never got a solution to my rib injury either..

When I have this injury I use topical DMSO so assist in decreasing the inflammation.

Array

School
    10th Planet Jacksonville
    Thanks for the tips. Been on vacation not training for 2 weeks and the overall inflammation pain has gone down that I was feeling but I'm now left with one of the ribs in my armpit that definitely is bruised or something. It's been getting better each day but still has a little bit of discomfort when I press on it. Hoping it keeps getting better.

You should have given up on gym immediately when the pain begun. If you are sure that you have got Costochondritis, when the treatment is based on easing the pain by it’s own, without any medical or naturalistic implications. It can take several weeks to come to a normal state. The worst thing about Costochondritis is the fact that it doesn’t have a clear cause and sometimes it’s confused with heart attack. However, it can be caused by other health issues like tumor, joint infection, arthritis or injury. My advice is once you started to train regularly, then you have to take care more about your health. From my experience I have got disc herniation after lifting weight. After I got through the laser surgery and long recovery period. You can open website and see how back problems can be cured.