Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Array

School
    10th Planet Hartford

Top 10 mma welterweights?

who do you guys think are the top 10 welterweight in mma...my opinion is...

1. Georges St. Pierre: It's a good thing the UFC signed Shields: If it hadn't, it would be hard to find anyone in the welterweight division worthy of stepping into the Octagon with St. Pierre, who has already completely cleaned out the rest of the top of the division. They're running out of challengers.

2. Jon Fitch: I don't think most MMA fans realize just how good Fitch is. He's 13-1 in the UFC, the second best winning percentage in the promotion's history (behind the 12-0 Anderson Silva) among fighters with at least 10 fights. Unfortunately for Fitch, he was beaten so badly by St. Pierre that no one is clamoring for him to get another title shot.

3. Jake Shields: Even though Shields' grappling is great, I'm not sure that he'd do any better than fight to a stalemate with St. Pierre on the ground. And St. Pierre's striking is so much better than Shields' that it seems virtually guaranteed that St. Pierre will win every stand-up exchange between them. In other words, Shields is both the best option for the next welterweight title fight and a huge underdog who has very little chance of winning. That's how great St. Pierre is.

4. Thiago Alves: Alves looked reborn against John Howard at UFC 124, but part of that was the fact that he was taking a big step down in quality of competition after back-to-back losses to St. Pierre and Fitch. Alves is probably the best striker in the welterweight division, but he still needs to prove he can beat a great wrestler.

5. B.J. Penn: His fight with Fitch at UFC 127 will match up two of the best fighters in the history of the UFC. I give the slight edge to Fitch, but I think Penn is good enough off his back to give Fitch problems that few other opponents have presented for him.

6. Josh Koscheck: Give credit to Koscheck for hanging tough as St. Pierre badly battered him for 25 minutes. Here's hoping he gets plenty of time to recover before settling into his role as a welterweight gatekeeper.

7. Martin Kampmann: If St. Pierre beats Shields, could Kampmann be next? Assuming he beats Diego Sanchez in March, Kampmann will be the highest-ranked welterweight whom St. Pierre hasn't beaten. But he'd probably need at least one more win before he'd be considered for title contention.

8. Nick Diaz: The Strikeforce welterweight champ is still waiting for his next fight. The crop of welterweight contenders in Strikeforce is weak, however, as aside from Diaz all of the elites are in the UFC.

9. Carlos Condit: Condit said after he knocked out Dan Hardy that he'd like to fight St. Pierre, even though they both train with Greg Jackson. With another win he might get that chance.

10. Matt Hughes: It's a close call between Hughes and GSP for the title of the best welterweight ever, but Hughes will probably lose his place in the Top 10 in 2011, as he ponders his future and younger fighters continue to climb over him in the rankings. It's been a great run for Hughes, but his loss to Penn showed that his best days are well behind him

Array

School
    blank
    personally i'm really excited to see Penn vs Fitch. until it was scheduled that matchup never even crossed my mind. totally interesting matchup stylistically, i think this fight will truly reveal how good each of their grappling really is.

Array

School
    10th Planet Nottingham
    Wheres daley and hardy? Daley smashed kampman.

Array

School
    10th Planet Fort Lauderdale Hotbox!
    I don't think you can give alves that much credit... beating a guy who was willing to stand right in front of him doesn't prove much in my opinion. I'd rank him closer to the bottom of that list, certainly not #4. In fact, i think you can switch Alves with Condit, Condit is on his was to being top contender for SURE. In the past 4 years Condit is 11-1 with the only loss being a split decision to Kampmann.

Array

School
    10th Planet Peterborough
    I don't think Hughes is very relevant in anyone's top 10 anymore.

Array

School
    10th planet Nottingham
    Daley , Hardy , Wallhead : )

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffDoherty View Post
    I don't think Hughes is very relevant in anyone's top 10 anymore.
    I agree,Matt maybe in the top 10 of all time ww but not in the current rankings

Array

School
    10th Planet Hartford
    well matt did get knocked out in 22 seconds but anyone could get lucky with a knockout punch...not saying bj got lucky but he might of..thats why im ranking matt hughes in my top 10...and imo hardy dosent deserve to be in the top 10..i mea cmon he got knocked out by carlos condit..im gonna have to see hardys next fight...and alves standup is the best in the welterweight division and i feel that his ground will just keep improving thats why i ranked him so high..hmmm maybe we could see hardy vs alves next?

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ
    Where's Daley and Hardy??
    Follow me on Instagram @eddiebravo10p

SUBSCRIBE to my videos youtube.com/twistereddie

Array

School
    10th Planet Ronin/JKD Institute
    Jake and Nick should be 2 and 3

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast