Array

School
    Indie/Suffolk MMA/ Combat Sports and Fitness Center

Escaping Head & Arm?

Just wondering if any one would share some teks they have for getting out of someone's head and arm when they are in you guard. I mean a tight head & arm control, like Royler had on Eddie during their match. I know there is a butterfly sweep and some others, just wondering if anyone had anything else.

Array

School
    Hoosier Fight Club
    well there are several options... First I would suggest analyzing the situation. If he is in ur guard and holding head and arm, he is breaking his own posture, and over committing his connection to you... you should have three appendages with which to escape/attack, and he has none... I am super flexible, so I immediately escape my hips, make a frame and the armbar is there on a silver platter. But when they are "over committing" it is really easy to sweep them, scissor, pendulum etc... Hope that helps

Array

School
    vortex jiujitsu
    Usually, this is a sign of inexpierience, because the head and arm has no leverage to choke you from your guard, most inexpierienced dudes will go for something without understanding how to get proper leverage. if head & arm choke / Kata Gatame, or just head and arm control. you can chill and let him gas his arms out, use jaws of life. play Hubber Guardia. or like bill said look for a sweep. gotta role a blunt pieace !!!

Array

School
    10th Pranet HQ Hollywood
    half guard ? or there in your closed guard?

half guard theres super stomp

Array

School
    Indie/Suffolk MMA/ Combat Sports and Fitness Center
    Closed Guard, and yeah it happens to me when the guy I'm rolling with is scared to get tapped cause he's new and lets his ego get in the way. Its just annoying to sit there for 3 minutes while all he does is hold and tries nothing. Thanks for all the help. Any more?

Array

School
    10th Planet Mobile, Al
    I know it sounds kind of cliche but the ultimate solution is not ending up in that position in the first place. Knowing the guy is basically going to stall, don't get flattened out like that without some sort of control. Id say try to maintain top position and smash him. Or pull half guard but stay active and don't get flattened out.

Array

School
    10th Planet Ronin/JKD Institute
    If I'm picturing this correctly, Bill is right. His weight would be high on you and he has no leverage. Could you transition to half or butterfly??? You'd then be able to move him in the direction he is already putting his weight. He may be stalling but if hes in your guard, you're also holding him there as well.