Thread: Rebel Yoga?

Array

School
    10th Planet Montreal

Rebel Yoga?

What is Rebel Yoga and where can I learn it? I am in Montreal and pussy yoga is the standard.

Try Sivananda Yoga, it is a great Tradition.

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Rochester
    Mike, my girl who you met yesterday is an Anusara Teacher and she teaches Yoga at 10th Planet Rochester for all of our fighters. Coach Herzog is a huge fan of this style as it has a heavy focus on Anatomy and Strength and depending on the teacher it isn't "pussy" yoga.

Look on the anusara website for a school near you!

Hey Mike.

Rebel Yoga is my brand of yoga that I have been shaping and developing in over ten years of personal yoga study.

The goals of Rebel Yoga for Martial Artists are, but not limited to

Pranayama Breathing Techniques - These techniques range from connecting breath to movement, to breath for stress/anxiety relief, to learning how to force oxygenation of your blood between rounds/or matches.

Strengthening the bodies "core" - this kind of speaks for itself. Rebel Flow is a vinyasa flow yoga that is a great workout for the body, mind and spirit.

Rebel Restorative - helps promote the healing of injuries and rejuvenation of damaged muscle tissue.

Rebel Flow - increases flexibility by targeting areas of interest specifically for fighters, i.e. knees. hips, shoulders, low back and upper back/neck.

Classes are currently held only in Los Angeles, but in the future we will consider expanding to reach a larger group of people.

We are also considering making a Rebel Yoga DVD set in the future, which would include, but not be limited to different components like Beginners, Intermediate, and Advanced yoga postures and sequences.

Among many other things what makes Rebel Yoga different is that we also add creative movements for grapplers and make it a fun and exciting environment for you to practice.

Also, it is probably rare for you to find a Yogi who has been training BJJ as long as I have been...which is almost 8 years.

I am an RYT Yoga Alliance Certified instructor and have been practicing yoga for ten years. I know the anatomy, and I love yogic philosophy.

Many of my teachers were Anusara based, most of whom studied directly under John Friend, the creator of Anusara Yoga. This is Los Angeles and we have potentially the most well known yoga teachers in the world, so if you train here, you get great yoga.

My advice to you for now would be to seek out yoga schools in your area and give a few of them a try. See what class works for you and most importantly make sure that you are studying with a Yoga Alliance Certified Instructor.

I hope this helps.

P.S. I have never heard of "Pussy Yoga," but it sounds like it could be interesting.

Jason

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester; 10th Planet St. Paul
    Jason: How do the different yoga traditions fit together? E.g. how do/are Bikram and anusara related, how many/what are the different traditions, etc? I've been doing the beginner yoga program I found on the fitness On Demand channel because I can never make it to our Sunday yoga classes. It's fascinating and I don't know why there aren't more yoga fanatics in jiu jitsu.