Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Array

School
    10TH Planet Morgantown
    Great question Chad. With the amount of ROLLING i do week to week conditioning has not been addressed as of yet. We both feel I am getting what I need on the mat. Honestly now that Im into 3 days I think we may need to look at this again as my body is still adjusting a bit and cannot roll as heavy as i like. Thus far I have been tempo rolling with heavier guys on a consistent basis. Great cardio and no better conditioning in my eyes. Im 155 now so the 200's are optimal

Array

School
    10th Planet Morgantown
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad C. View Post
    I'm pretty excited for this. I'm in school now and hope to be a strength and conditioning coach in the future.

Just wondering what's your training philosophy? Do you follow any specific training "style" (HIT, Block Periodization, Conjugate Periodization, Linear Progression)?
    Excellent Question.... I'm actually a fan of all of those methods. There are actually several correct methods for attaining strength, you just need to figure out which one is going to work best for your goals. Currently, I am using traditional periodization with Neale. This is mainly in part that he hasn't done any real strength training for years. This method has him sticking to the same lifts (some actually do change) throughout the program and this will help him master technique on those lifts. Once he is familiar with the lifts we can try some of the more dynamic styles of periodization.

Array

School
    10th Planet Morgantown
    Heres a quick rundown of the type of flexibility work (including the warm-up and cool down) that Neale and I are using. As he started previously, we start each workout with a dynamic stretching routine. We start with movements involving a small range of motion (ROM) and move towards movements with a greater ROM. This serves 2 purposes: 1) is to prepare the muscles for work and stress and 2) to gradually increase heart and core temperature. Once the dynamic stretches are done, we either move on to more traditional warm-up exercises (butt kickers, high knees, ect..) or we start to warm-up with light weights on the first exercise (squat, cleans, ect..). So thats how we progress into the workout.
    Heres how we end the session. Ideally, we end with some more dynamic stretching. This time it all high ROM (leg swings, dynamic band stretches, ect). Immediately following we begin PNF (proprioceptive neuromuscular facilitation). In laymen's, this is push/relax stretching. The premise here is to trick the body's stretch reflex mechanism and achieve a greater than normal stretch. This type of stretching requires a good relationship between you and your client and I always play it safe with type of stretching until I'm certain that I know my client's limits. Neale and I have been using PNF mainly for the legs, but as we both grow more comfortable with this, we will move on to other areas. After the PNF we do some basic partner stretches, band stretches (static) and standard static stretches. This is all dependent on what joints/muscles we attacked during the workout and areas were previously tight.

Array

School
    Monolith Sambo
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad C. View Post
    I only have experience with training football players, most who are lower level athletes and relatively new to training. Recently I've been using a modified Jim Wendler 5/3/1 program with them and have seen a lot of success. In the past I've tried Westside styled training but I found it to be too taxing on their CNS which took away from their ability to perform their sport.

I'm interested in how you structure you training. I have a few friends who box and compete in mma who've asked me to help with their training.
    The 531 is awesome for supplemental work, IMO.

I'll give you a quick summary of what I did for one guy who had 3 months before a fight...

Always warmed up with dynamic stretches and some sport-specific movements. A good warm-up lift after, usually involving kettlebell clean-and-press or overhead squats with a barbell.

For the 1st month, we gently worked a few core lifts. For him, I believe it was hip squats and sumo deadlifts (he had some knee stabilization problems, and hip squats are thought to help by strengthening the glutes and vastus lateralis), and then incline press and power cleans. The daily structure usually began with a power movement or plyometric exercise, followed with a static strength lift, and ended with some form of circuit.

The 2nd month was where we began to peak in strength. The focus lifts became heavier, and the rep ranges became smaller. Whereas the 1st month was 80/20 strength movements to plyometrics and cardio movements, the 2nd month was somewhere around 60/40.

The 3rd month was where we tapered down to the event itself. The overall volume of lifting went down, but the weights stayed heavy. The first week was about 50/50 strength to plyometrics and cardio, the 2nd was about 40/60, and the 3rd maybe 30/70. The last week before the event involved only cardio and plyometrics. This allowed his body to rest sufficiently that entire week.

I know a lot of strength coaches who use a template similar to this, and the idea is that the athlete will have maximum 1RM output on the date of the event, their cardio, explosiveness, and sport-specific movements will be fresh in the mind, and their body will be as rested as possible.

Array

School
    10th Planet
    Awesome info guys! I cant wait to begin incorporating some of these ideas into my own training program.

TTT

Array

School
    Going Rogue Again
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardC View Post
    A non-linear progression loosely means that you are performing different exercises every workout, at a different number of sets and reps, and at different intensities. It allows you to be very creative. I went to a seminar by the Kansas basketball strength coach, and she uses a non-linear progression with her basketball guys, and they consistently outperform most other teams yearly.

Block periodization is usually used for contest preparation, broken up into 3 or more "blocks" of time. Typically, the first month or so is foundational lifting, the second is strength development, and the third is sport-specific with a tapering down of weight. Boris Sheiko used a method like this.

Linear progression roughly means that once you can lift x amount of weight for 3 sets of 5, then you increase the weight.

Conjugate periodization is much more complex, but when someone uses this term, they usually mean combining a "maximum effort" day with a "dynamic effort" day during the week. Rather than explain it all, I would say just do a search of "Westside Barbell".
    thanks a lot man lol
    appreciate you dumbing it down for me
    its good to know these kinda things for future reference too

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Thanks to everyone who answered one of my questions for all the feedback.

Do any of you guys recommend any MMA or grappling specific training books? I've just ordered one by Martin Rooney from amazon that should be here soon.

Array

School
    10TH Planet Morgantown
    Hey guys... I'm going to update with part 2 later today or tomorrow. Rather than dig this saga 15 pages deep I'm going to start a new thread each post and label it Part 2, Part 3 etc. Check back later

Array

School
    10th Planet Morgantown
    You can get some good ideas from the specific books, but your best bet would be to look into a program design book such as the Designing Resistance Training Programs or the Westside Book of Methods. Once you have a good knowledge of how to design a program, then you can supplement with the specific books. Of course you should also do the same with conditioning.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123