Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Array

School
    Anu Academy
    I think you may be thinking of the gator roll, but I've heard this one called the quick death I believe.

Array

School
    On the search
    I like crawling up and hooking a leg or legs to finish this. As long as the chin is pushed towards the chest to expose the carotid arteries and you get a good squeeze it works. The roll is cool but I always mess it up. Here's a good clip of Ari Bolden explaining the technique.

Array

School
    Hoosier Fight Club
    uhmmm, why didn't he tap with his free arm? Pretty strange. Very slick entrance!

Array

School
    Soul Fighters Academy / Best Way
    One man's opinion.....

To finish you have to get the guy on his side. This guy did that, but he did it in a very tough way that requires a lot of strength. Looks like shitty technique that ended in the right spot to me. He should have just gator rolled.

As I've said, just my opinion.

Array

School
    Charles Gracie Reno
    I don't see the variation from this vid vs the submissions101.com one for the anaconda. What am I missing?
    I haven't seen the submission 101 video, but typically you roll towards the trapped arm and finish on your side, which is why this choke is also known as the gator roll. Instead of rolling Prater kind of crawled around towards the side of the trapped arm and hooked his leg. He ended up taking him over as well. I couldn't tell whether that was intentional, or if he could have finished him from the side as well.

Array

School
    Charles Gracie Reno
    I also thought it was funny that the commentator kept mixing up the darce/ brabo chokes with the anaconda. Even worse, after Carlo Prater corrected him in the ring, the announcer says "well it sure looked like a brabo choke to me." Ha, ha, hopefully someone has informed him of the difference between the two chokes so he can stop making himself look silly.

Array

School
    Charles Gracie Reno
    Asked my instructor about this choke today. He thought the way he finished was more of an arm in guillotine type choke, but he used the anaconda grip. In any case, it looks like it works pretty well and I will have to add that to my arsenal.

Array

School
    KCBJJ
    It looks like he's creating tension for the choke by hooking and trapping the guys leg and stretching him out, which in turns flips him over. It definitely looks more like deep arm guillotine pressure rather than the typical anaconda pressure.

Array

School
    Peter De Been Caroline Springs
    i use a similar technique when people try to stop the roll by basing out, except i try to get on the other side. anyway, that guy should have been focusing more on keeping the opponents head in the middle of his chest, where you get the most leverage for the choke without gassing out your arms. if it slips off to the side, it just becomes an arm-in guillotine.

ive been experimenting with something pretty sick recently with the anaconda choke. if i manage to get an anaconda grip from sprawl now, i just get my weight on my butt by sitting on my heels and push my stomach straight through the opponents neck by leaning back, without having to worry about rolling or pulling guard or anything like that. its similar to the finish with the basic 10-finger guillotine, and it seems to work just as well if not better

Array

School
    Carlson Gracie Miami/10P Miami/Ft. Laud Hotbox remnant
    Quote Originally Posted by Muhammad Abdou View Post
    i use a similar technique when people try to stop the roll by basing out, except i try to get on the other side. anyway, that guy should have been focusing more on keeping the opponents head in the middle of his chest, where you get the most leverage for the choke without gassing out your arms. if it slips off to the side, it just becomes an arm-in guillotine.

ive been experimenting with something pretty sick recently with the anaconda choke. if i manage to get an anaconda grip from sprawl now, i just get my weight on my butt by sitting on my heels and push my stomach straight through the opponents neck by leaning back, without having to worry about rolling or pulling guard or anything like that. its similar to the finish with the basic 10-finger guillotine, and it seems to work just as well if not better
    That sounds very interesting. In my gym I get a lot of sprawl control positions for some reason. Can you please post a video of you demonstrating your anaconda choke variation?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12