Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Array

School
    10th Planet Fort Lauderdale Hotbox!

What do you guys think about teammates fighting teammates?

Im curious what you guys think about teammates fighting teammates in professional MMA. You always hear about the blackhaus guys refusing to fight each other and the jacksons guys not wanting to do it, etc. What do you guys think, is it just something you have to man up and do as a professional? That's pretty much what I think. I mean if they can do it on the ultimate fighter when theyre living with these guys, you can fight you teammate for a nice paycheck and still be friends after.

Also, you have to think, would you want to fight another 10th Planet brother in MMA? What's the 10th Planet stance on fighting each other in competition? Do we have an official stance?

What do you all think?

Array

School
    10th Planet El Paso
    I guess the hardest part would be the actual fight preparation.

MMA is a sport, just like football basketball or whatever. Imagine if the Patriots didn't play the Saints (or whoever) in the Superbowl just because some of the guys were on the same college team. It's be pretty lame, no? Figures you both get paid, have some friendly competition, get fan exposure, and enjoy competing in the sport you both love. It's like Dana White always says, "Are the trainers and team-mates going to pay the fighters bills when it's all said and done?" No way.

But then again who do the coaches favor in training? Spraining Partners? I don't know the answer to that one. Guess it depends on each camp/fighter.

Array

School
    Serra BJJ
    If it's for a title, I say go for it. You're the two best fighters in your weight class. Fight. But not just for exhibition.

Friends train together in other sports Football is just as physical and violent as MMA probably more so in many ways.

Guys in the NFL are friends with QBs and still sack them every chance they get.

I think they should get over it and just fight like Bas said avoid them before the fight have a beer after its over.

Array

School
    albuquerque kickboxing academy
    Jacksons guys not fighting eachother thats so far from the truth. I train there and at my other school and ive had to fight some of my teammates. Its that we dont wanna fight eachother its just that were a small tight gym and we would rather find other competion, but im not metioning any names "cough cough rashad" some guys just dont get that you can be friends afterwards and thats all that really matters. check out jacksons mma series on youtube some good shit man

Array

School
    Carlson Gracie Miami/10P Miami/Ft. Laud Hotbox remnant
    Great question Matt. You can refuse any fight you want, but I think that outside the cage, you can be friends with anyone you want to, inside the cage, it's strictly business till the fight is over. Makes me think of the beautiful Bonner vs Griffin fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Glach View Post
    Im curious what you guys think about teammates fighting teammates in professional MMA. You always hear about the blackhaus guys refusing to fight each other and the jacksons guys not wanting to do it, etc. What do you guys think, is it just something you have to man up and do as a professional? That's pretty much what I think. I mean if they can do it on the ultimate fighter when theyre living with these guys, you can fight you teammate for a nice paycheck and still be friends after.

Also, you have to think, would you want to fight another 10th Planet brother in MMA? What's the 10th Planet stance on fighting each other in competition? Do we have an official stance?

What do you all think?
    I think, till you walk a mile in the shoes of the people you are making declarations about, you should withold these declarations. TUF isnt a "team" guys are all there for themselves, and everyone knows it from day one. Being on a team training with guys is completely, utterly different. Ever notice EVERY SINGLE actual fighter for the most part says they wont fight the guys they train with day in and day out, and only some fans (the ones who dont train consistently oddly enough), media, and Promoters are the only folks clamoring for people to "act professional"? That should tell you all you need to know.

Quote Originally Posted by dukecitymenace View Post
    Jacksons guys not fighting eachother thats so far from the truth. I train there and at my other school and ive had to fight some of my teammates. Its that we dont wanna fight eachother its just that were a small tight gym and we would rather find other competion, but im not metioning any names "cough cough rashad" some guys just dont get that you can be friends afterwards and thats all that really matters. check out jacksons mma series on youtube some good shit man
    Explain, if you would why you had to fight team mates in a MMA match? I could see it becoming something that is pressured for folks at the top, where there can only be so many top competitors, but until you are at the elite level, esp in MMA where there are fights galore for up and comers, I dont see it. Could you elaborate?

I would rather not fight a teammate, and I agree with Nick Diaz on this point, he said something along the lines of "If Jake Shields is ranked first, then I want to be ranked second." What better way to say your camp or team is the best if the top two of the entire division is represented by them?

Array

School
    10th Planet Fort Lauderdale Hotbox!
    Nice, looks like we're split on this issue. That's what I was hoping for because I'd really like to flesh out both sides of this debate. I honestly don't know which side I'm on, but I do think that when you're in the UFC at the highest level, you probably shouldn't be turning down fights because you don't want to compete against a friend. I do understand and appreciate what Nick Diaz says with regards to Jake Shields, and yea it's great when your team has #1 and #2 but if they fight, they're still #1 and #2, I just don't see a reason to not fight. At that level, youre a professional. I think it comes with the territory, especially when you have teams the way we do now where there are a handful of elite teams with all the best fighters in the world.

Anyway, keep the opinions coming, I'm quite curious.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast