Thread: Olympic TKD

my favorite tkd fighter is bill 'the grill' cooper

here's the grill in action

here he is using his in mma

bill 'the grill' cooper,, tkd blackbelt

Array

School
    Academia De La Hova Jiu Jitsu
    The thing i find with ITF is its way more adaptable, you get used to being punches in the face and its not as superhero like as WTF. WTF has awesome techniques but there so much stuff you will waste your time on i find. I guess it depends which school you go to also, but the one i went too had a few pan am champs and stuff but i dunno i cant see myself doing that unless my arm gets amputated.

Cyrus is a beast, hes actually buddies with kwonkicker. The only thing with cyrus is he doesn't really incorporate his TKWD into his muay thai all that much. I mean he some TKD technique but he hasn't really blended the two, alot of the time he is just a normal muay thai fighter and then he throws in some crazy back kicks or wheel kicks. Its kind of hard to explain what i mean, but i guess what i mean is his base isnt really TKWD its very muay thai. This fight is pretty nuts.

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ circa 2006-07
    Quote Originally Posted by DBK View Post
    The thing i find with ITF is its way more adaptable, you get used to being punches in the face and its not as superhero like as WTF. WTF has awesome techniques but there so much stuff you will waste your time on i find. I guess it depends which school you go to also, but the one i went too had a few pan am champs and stuff but i dunno i cant see myself doing that unless my arm gets amputated.

Cyrus is a beast, hes actually buddies with kwonkicker. The only thing with cyrus is he doesn't really incorporate his TKWD into his muay thai all that much. I mean he some TKD technique but he hasn't really blended the two, alot of the time he is just a normal muay thai fighter and then he throws in some crazy back kicks or wheel kicks. Its kind of hard to explain what i mean, but i guess what i mean is his base isnt really TKWD its very muay thai. This fight is pretty nuts.

I agree... punches to the face when striking helps to prepare you for MMA.

I see what you are saying about Cyrus. His footwork and distance control are heavily influenced by Muay Thai. I would like to see him avoid attacks and counter kick more instead of checking his opponent's leg attacks.

Array

School
    Sweet TKD style K.O. kick. It's called a nada bong in Taekwondo.

Array

School
    Academia De La Hova Jiu Jitsu
    saw it before. pretty awesome. 3 sweet techniques

Array

School
    Edson Barboza KO's Terry Etim with a TKD style Spin Kick.

Array

School
    10th planet Peterborough
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Mallory View Post
    I would still agree that the technique in MT is better for kicking the legs than the kick I described which is for body/head kicks.
    Power is power when it comes to kicking, maybe MT has better leg kick set ups but I dont think that MT necessarily has more powerful leg kicks. Andy Hug wasnt MT but had some great leg kicks, even using tun back hooks to the thighs which you see little of. Im glad to see TKD getting a little praise though heheI hold a second dan in it and for eons it was always a bad rap. Im a strong believer in you ll use it as you train it. TKD kicks are awesome, but if you practice for points you are still good at tag only, but the techniques themselves are powerful if utilized correctly. Slightly off topic I watched Lyoto Machidas DVDs and everyone claims that he is unorthodox. I dont agree after seeing how he teaches, he teaches super orthodox the way traditional arts teach. I find most guys who train Karate, TKD etc train one way and fight another.
    Stewart Landry
    Head Instructor 10th Planet Peterborough

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by Stewart Landry View Post
    Slightly off topic I watched Lyoto Machidas DVDs and everyone claims that he is unorthodox. I dont agree after seeing how he teaches, he teaches super orthodox the way traditional arts teach. I find most guys who train Karate, TKD etc train one way and fight another.
    I agree. The thing is that Lyoto doesn't have a MT based style, that's why he's called 'unorthodox'. It's almost like when the Thai's went to America in the 80's and tore all the Kickboxer apart but in reverse. People in America were not familiar to the MT style with the leg kicks.

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718