Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Olympic TKD

Array

School
    10th planet
    Those kicks you are referring to are muay thai kicks. you spin around after you throw your kick.

Array

School
    Fi-G Muay Thai/Honeybadger MMA
    Quote Originally Posted by lenin View Post
    Those kicks you are referring to are muay thai kicks. you spin around after you throw your kick.
    No, you dont. No Muay Thai kick involves spinning 360 degrees if you miss. The kick comes up, around and back down either in a switched stance or back where it started.

In Muay Thai it is a minor insult, and a declaration of war to turn your back on your opponent.
    Last edited by Tim Elliott; 09-06-2010 at 12:18 AM.

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ circa 2006-07
    lenin may be talking about spinning 360 if you miss the target in Thai Boxing.

Array

School
    Add Ross Pearson to the TKD list.

http://www.no-gi-grappling.com/Greg-Jackson.html

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Mallory View Post
    lenin may be talking about spinning 360 if you miss the target in Thai Boxing.

That video is a perfect depiction of a Kickboxing kick. Its a perfectly good kick, and thats an excellent video if you want to learn how to do a Kickboxing kick. It is not a kick found in Muay Thai though. To suggest it is is like saying rubber guard is a Judo technique. Vaguely related, but from different lines of different things.

The reality is, almost every gym that kicks and punches puts on satin shorts and calls themselves a Muay Thai gym. This is like if Jiu Jitsu had no belt system, and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu was considered the coolest, so everyone who fought on the ground, wrestlers etc, put a sign up saying BJJ and started calling themselves BJJ fighters. Thus, outside Thailand, Muay Thai, as in the National Martial art of Thailand is extremely rare. There very good genuine Muay Thai in Australia and bone hard Kickboxers in Holland. Iv never really seen much of Muay Thai in America.

When I get home (Im in Australia) I will see my trainer about making a technique video explaining the Thai kick. If your worried about kicking elbows, you should stick to scrabble

Array

School
    I guess that makes sense that there are different kicking theories that are called Muay Thai. I've seen people explain never to turn your back when doing a thai kick and I have also seen people spin around and raise the opposite knee to block as they spin too.
    Last edited by Jason Mallory; 09-06-2010 at 06:32 AM.

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Mallory View Post
    I guess that makes sense that there are different theories within Muay Thai. I've seen people explain never to turn your back when doing a thai kick and I have also seen people spin around and raise the opposite knee to block as they spin too.
    The spin around and block kick is the Western Kickboxing kick. Theres nothing wrong with it. It was the first kick I learned, under the same trainer as I have now. I had to stop because I got bad glandular fever and he moved to Thailand and went pro. We both ended up back in NZ (injured) a few years later and everything had changed. I still use a version of it for a head kick (looks like CroCops, wish it worked like CroCops).

Picture the angle of the arm down the body. If you come it horizontally with the kick, the window to the ribs, between the arm and the hip is quite small, no matter how far out from their body their elbow is. The basic Thai kick comes up the side of the body and you turn at in at the point you want to strike. The chances of the soft part of the side or the floating rib are much higher. So is the chance of kicking the elbow. Coming in at an angle seems to be more damaging too. It is quicker, you can throw more combinations from it and it telegraphs a lot less.'

Array

School

Array

School
    Elite BJJ Redmond, WA
    I heard something on the UFC Insider today that excites me and is related to this. The UFC is going to really try to grow in Asia, put an office in Asia, have fights in Asia, recruit some Asian talent. I think this could be excellent for getting some real traditional eastern martial arts experts into the sport.

They'd need to pick up some grappling. But I'm pretty stoked about this.

Array

School
    I forgot to put David Loiseau on the list.
    Last edited by Jason Mallory; 09-08-2010 at 02:14 PM.

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast