Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Olympic TKD

Array

School
    Fi-G Muay Thai/Honeybadger MMA
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Mallory View Post
    Im sorry, but it just looks comical to me.

i haven't found a reason to post since the new site, but seriously whats with 1988? athletes evolve.

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ circa 2006-07
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence Maffucci View Post

i haven't found a reason to post since the new site, but seriously whats with 1988? athletes evolve.
    I'm not a big fan of TKD today. I feel like too many people went multiple kick crazy.

Array

School

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Elliott View Post
    Im sorry, but it just looks comical to me.
    I can understand why you would say that. As I said at the beginning of the post, TKD, like Wrestling, Thai Boxing or BJJ have to be modified for MMA. The core principles like distance control, footwork, timing, counter kicking, speed, feinting etc ... are what is valuable.

Check out some TKD in K1.

Last edited by Jason Mallory; 09-13-2010 at 04:28 PM.

i agree they are a little crazy nowadays but some of that stuff could work if integreated propperly, like the last 15 seconds of a round Anthony Pettis is gunna catch som1 one of these days

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence Maffucci View Post
    i agree they are a little crazy nowadays but some of that stuff could work if integreated propperly, like the last 15 seconds of a round Anthony Pettis is gunna catch som1 one of these days
    That's another one. Add Anthony Pettis to the list of pro MMA fighters that have a background in TKD.

And I agree, when Pettis lands that double kick to the thigh and then head for the KO it will hit all the highlight reels.

Array

School
    Elite BJJ Redmond, WA
    Ahh, I didn't know Pettis' name! I'll have to remember it. A brief look at a youtube clip shows he's keeping that TKD range

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Jarboe View Post
    Ahh, I didn't know Pettis' name! I'll have to remember it. A brief look at a youtube clip shows he's keeping that TKD range
    Yup, Pettis' range is from TKD where your stance is just outside kicking range unlike Muay Thai where the fighters in general stand within each others kicking range where they can kick and punch each other without having to cover distance forward.

It's like the difference in boxing between Floyd Mayweather' style of fighting from the outside with movement and JC Chavez' inside fighting where he tears up the body. Both styles are beautiful and effective.

Quick bit of Rubber Guard in the second fight by Pettis too.

Last edited by Jason Mallory; 09-12-2010 at 07:20 AM.

Array

School
    Elite BJJ Redmond, WA
    Dude, I'm a fan already. I think a lot of styles are going to have serious trouble with this guy! He's pulling off jump kicks in MMA competition and landing them for effect. Holy crap!

Array

School
    10th planet
    yes I was referring to missing when kicking in muay thai since that is what I was taught. When you miss, you raise your opposite knee to check a kick that might be thrown while you're turning around. If my trainer was lying and instead was teaching me a kickboxing kick then oh well.
    Last edited by ninel; 09-11-2010 at 12:31 AM.

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast