Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Array

School
    10th Planet Van Nuys
    There are a lot of joint locks for self defense that are taught in BJJ schools which are based on aikido. Reputable BJJ schools will not color belt you unless you are proficient with some street viable self defense techniques and alot of them are forearm and wrist manipulations.

Array

School
    UFC Gym -- Thomas Kenney
    well, BJJ is all about joint manipulation is the biggest part of the art...I don't think you could say a joint lock is based on aikido. I would very much like to see some aikido sparring that is not using 100% compliant opponents.

Array

School
    Carlson Gracie Miami/10P Miami/Ft. Laud Hotbox remnant
    Quote Originally Posted by James Davis View Post
    well, BJJ is all about joint manipulation is the biggest part of the art...I don't think you could say a joint lock is based on aikido. I would very much like to see some aikido sparring that is not using 100% compliant opponents.
    +1

I'd like to see it used vs a half decent boxer or wrestler even.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Wylie View Post
    Aikido is a joke.
    I thought people gravitated towards 10th planet forums because they're more open-minded.

Quote Originally Posted by James Davis View Post
    akido wrist locks are used in bjj comps all the time. the video I gave ARE joint locks based on akido. Like Andy said, many akido wrist locks are a part of BJJ. Of all the BJJ practitioners in the world there's not a doubt in my mind that one of them has used a wrist lock based on an akido technique in compitition.

Array

School
    Ronin
    Quote Originally Posted by petenguyen View Post
    I thought people gravitated towards 10th planet forums because they're more open-minded.
    Nope, people gravitate towards the 10th planet forums because they like the 10th planet system.
    What a silly conclusion on your part.
    formerly known as jmw0582

Array

School
    Ronin
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyK5 View Post
    There are a lot of joint locks for self defense that are taught in BJJ schools which are based on aikido. Reputable BJJ schools will not color belt you unless you are proficient with some street viable self defense techniques and alot of them are forearm and wrist manipulations.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaya View Post
    akido wrist locks are used in bjj comps all the time. the video I gave ARE joint locks based on akido. Like Andy said, many akido wrist locks are a part of BJJ. Of all the BJJ practitioners in the world there's not a doubt in my mind that one of them has used a wrist lock based on an akido technique in compitition.

What do you know! a Roy Dean blue belt test and not even one wrist lock! even from Roy Dean himself!

Array

School
    Ronin
    and look here, a Roy Dean purple belt test and still no wrist locks or anything resembling aikido. I know I know they save the powerful aikido tech for the brown belts right?

Array

School
    Ronin
    look he finally hits a wrist lock in his brown belt test! but only in the live roll not the demo portion of the test. Im sure they would not have given him his brown belt if he would have finished with an arm bar instead.

Maybe Eddie can tell us if wrist locks are right up there with double lotus. I bet JJ Machado was like "ya ya Eddie I know you tapped Royler but you have to learn the wrist locks to get your black belt!" and they probably had a 3 hr training session on wrist locks right before he got his black belt.

Array

School
    Newborn Cascao
    so you acknowledge wrist locks have legitimate submission/braking abilities but than you mock them using someone who really believes in them and has a black belt in two (if not more) martial arts? Don't you think that he wouldn't teach them any more if they didn't work?

Something great about Aikido that people don't normally see in my opinion is there footwork and ability to enter to clinch distance. It is made to look easy but when noticed looking easy is a tribute to the technique.
    I've had my squabbles about Aikido, but I have not thought it was useless or not legit at the high levels.
    Jigoro Kano → Tsunejiro Tomita → Mitsuyo "Count Koma" Maeda → Carlos Gracie, Sr. → Jean Jacques Machado → Eddie Bravo → Myself

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast