Array

School
    10th Pranet HQ Hollywood

CSAC changes mind, UFC's Chael Sonnen free to apply for license (yay)

by Steven Marrocco on May 20, 2011 at 7:00 pm ET
    mmajunkie

The California State Athletic Commission today reversed a decision to treat Chael Sonnen's indefinite suspension as a license revocation, which clears the way for the onetime middleweight contender to apply for a fight license in the state after his suspension runs its course on June 29 of this year.

On Thursday, CSAC Executive Director George Dodd told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that California Code of Regulations Title 4 Rule 399 was used as justification by CSAC legal advisers for classifying the suspension as a revocation.

Today, however, the CSAC announced there were errors made in the interpretation of that rule.

"Upon reviewing the May 18, 2011 decision of the commission, an error in the applicability of Rule 399 was made," stated a release issued today by the commission. "The rule states that, 'Any applicant who has been denied an application for a license may not file a similar application until one year from the date of the last previous denial by the commission. Any application filed within the one year period may be denied without the necessity of a hearing. Anyone who has had his license revoked may not petition for reinstatement or apply for a new license until one year after the date of such revocation. Any petition for reinstatement filed within the one year period may be denied without the necessity of a hearing.'

"Since the commission did not revoke or deny Mr. Sonnen's license, the rule does not apply."

The release noted that Sonnen will need to appear before the commission once again should he decide to apply for a license in California.

"If the commission denies his application, Mr. Sonnen will have to wait one year from the date of the denial," the release stated.

On Tuesday, the CSAC voted 4-1 to uphold an indefinite suspension of Sonnen issued in late April. The commission cited inconsistencies in his testimony during a December appeal of a one-year suspension he was issued for elevated levels of testosterone following UFC 117. (The suspension was reduced to six months.) Sonnen's recent conviction on one federal charge of money laundering was also cited as a reason for the indefinite suspension.

On Thursday Dodd said that Sonnen was not eligible to apply for a license in California until May 18, 2012, or one year from the date that CSAC upheld the indefinite suspension, as per the commission's rules on license revocations.

Until June 29, Sonnen's name will remain on a registry that tracks fighters' medical and administrative suspensions. It is unknown at the time of this writing whether a note will be placed on the registry after the suspension expires that asks commissions in other states to call the CSAC in the event that the fighter applies for a license there.

At Wednesday's hearing, Sonnen's legal representatives begged the CSAC to end the fighter's current suspension on June 5, the final date in which he'd be eligible to gain a second's license in Nevada to coach on "The Ultimate Fighter 14." Sonnen told the commission that he had been offered a coaching spot opposite Michael Bisping on the reality show with a No. 1 contender's bout waiting afterward. The request was declined.

Nevada State Athletic Commission Keith Kizer said on Thursday that a second's license is out of the question before Sonnen's current suspension ends, though the restrictions will be lifted after June 29.

"My understanding is that he's free to apply for either license after June 29," Kizer said today. "However, he will have to appear before the commission on those applications. Before that date, we have to honor the California suspensions."

Array

School
    iron monkey woodstock ont
    man they already have almost token a year from his career away like i mean may 2012 ways a long time like i mean damn give him a break many other people have done the same this and received far less punishment hes the perfect villain

Array

School
    10th Planet Van Nuys
    I am not saying Sonnen should get away with what he did, but CSAC is full of complete idiots. They do not know their own rules and regulations, Kirzer , as a response to his commissions ruling, say his "understanding", what do u mean his understanding, there should be only one understanding and one way of declaring medical records or use of prescription drugs etc.. These mofo's get paid a good deal of money without doing anything and most of them are incompetent leeches who just suck money off the industry.
    This is really sad for fighters.
    If you have beef with Sonnen, as soon as something happens bring him in front of the commission, assign him his sentence and then let it go.

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu
    I just hope they don't decide to deny his license. Another year long wait would be terrible. The man has just about served his time. Let him fight
    #10thplanetFREAKS

Array

School
    10th Planet Van Nuys
    What I am worried about is that Chael my actually learn his lesson from all this and shut up which would suck big time...

Array

School
    Combat Sports Center
    i doubt it andy. his trash talk isn't anything personal, it buissness.
    hopefully he gets it in time to do TUF, cause i really want to see him face silva at full strength.

K Madden

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Wheeler View Post
    i doubt it andy. his trash talk isn't anything personal, it buissness.
    hopefully he gets it in time to do TUF, cause i really want to see him face silva at full strength.
    full strength? uh...he was juicing and couldnt take him. now take out a few batteries and you think he can hang? nah, not a chance.

Array

School
    10th Planet Van Nuys
    Just let the guy run his mouth in tuf against Bisping, then beat him if he can. Silva is not even in the near future of Sonnen at this time. But I am sure, he can drive Bisping mad, I mean real friggin mad to the point where Bisping may lose it

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu
    He won't be off suspension in time to do TUF unless he does next years
    #10thplanetFREAKS