Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Fighters who most influenced the sport of MMA:

Royce Gracie (jiu jitsu fighter): Nulified the whole stand up game with submission grappling. Was eventually succeeded by high level wrestlers with ground and pound.

Matt Hughes (athletic wrestler): Used wrestling and athletisism to dictate the pace and location of the fight. Was able to Nuetralize not only stand up, but submission grappling as well. Was replaced by fighters who were experts in multiple disciplines.

BJ Penn (mixed martial artist): Brought the first "complete" game, possessing good stand up, great jiu jitsu, and great defensive wrestling. Used take down defense to be able to keep wrestlers at bay. Will eventually be replaced by super athletic fighters who have been training many disciplines from a very young age.

4th place will be a combination of Jon Jones type reflexes and athleticism, Fedor mentality and instincts, and GSP trainability and work ethic.

Fighters who most influenced MMA culture and exposure:

Ken Shamrock: Was in multiple super fights at key moments in MMA history. His fights with Royce lit the first spark that became the UFC. Later revitalized the UFC with fight against Tito Ortiz.

Sakuraba: Was one of the most popular and best fighters in Pride early on. Helped spread MMA across Asia.

Chuck Lidell: Really brought MMA mainstream in the western world. Had a tough stand up style that appealed to a lot of americans and boxing fans who didn't understand the ground game. Was able to transcend the sport into mainstream media and spread the word on this amazing sport.

Array

School
    none
    i actually have Rickson instead of Royce 2. chuck liddell 3. GSP........................4. sean bollinger- when i see him play rubber it makes me wanna stretch more B)

Array

School
    Ronin
    Kimo Leopoldo
    Kimbo Slice
    Herchel Walker
    formerly known as jmw0582

Array

School
    10th Planet Van Nuys
    lol, thomas your list should go like this,
    Art Jimmerson - Cuz he was in the UFC
    Royce - Cuz he beat Art
    Hughes - Cuz he beat Royce
    Penn - Cuz he beat Hughes
    Edgar- Cuz he beat Penn
    Maynard - Cuz he drew Edgar

Array

School
    Back from vacation
    Royce
    Fedor
    Evan Tanner

Array

School
    10th Planet Earth
    Special mentions to
    Rorion Gracie & Dana White for the UFC
    and of course Helio Gracie for fighting people way back when...

Royce Gracie
    Mark Kerr or Igor Vovchachyn...can't decide
    Randy Couture

Array

School
    Delaware Barbell Club & Fitness BJJ
    for me its : Wanderlei Silva , Takanori Gomi & Fedor Emelianenko

Array

School
    CSW Fullerton, CA

Royce, Randy and BJ

1. Royce Gracie-opened the worlds eyes to ground fighting and got the sport rolling.

2. Randy Couture-Captain America successfully used his wrestling to win. Always seemed to defy odds and put on great performances.

3. Bj Penn-(my personal favorite) He fights with something else; never seen before in any other fighter. A true fighter spirit. A true natural fighter. He always leaves it all on the line.

Quote Originally Posted by John Alighieri View Post
    Nobody mentioned Rickson...
    I think it's because rickson is the most influential among fighters. as far as helping mma get into the spotlight, royce played a bigger part.

of course between the two of them rickson is the better fighter no question about that.

anyone other than a gracie at #1 is ridiculous, can't beat the influence of the gracie challenge on Martial arts and MMA, they changed everything even before royce and the UFC.

2 and 3 will also go to one of the gracies.

though saku, bas, and severn are way up there.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast