Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Array

School
    vortex jiujitsu

is jiujitsu dying in MMA?

1st off i'll always fly the jiujitsu flag, & jiujitsu is still the best self defense martial art. & jits is still better than wrestling, catch or whatever thats a fact. but with the current mma scoring, jits players must sub there opponents or loose to lay & pray, because sweeps & sub attempts & dominant positions don't count for shit, ex: Torres vs Mouse, Penn vs fitch ect. & as Eddie says dudes guards aren't getting better, & all wrestlers are learning sub defense. & until the entire scoring system is changed, the sport favors wrestlers. in the past 2 or 3 ufc's there were 0 subs or maybee 1. hence the limited action for the gracies to breakdown, Eddie is right when he says jits looks bad in mma, because it does! mma is quickly becomming wrestling with strikes & piss pour jiujitsu. & good jits isn't appreciated. we all know rubber guard is desperately needed in mma but we may have to wait on both, a scoring system that actually rewards every aspect of mma, & a new generation of fighters who come in with rubber guard. until then be board to death by the clay guidas of mma, & piss pour defensive guards

I think people are forgetting that everyone uses BJJ against BJJ, so it's getting harder and harder to sub a guy. If everyone were olympic wrestlers, then take downs would be rare and people might say that wrestling is dying. I just think BJJ defense is easier than BJJ offense, so even though the guy has better BJJ, it's hard to see a difference.

btw, yes clay guida is very boring to me. when clay guida fights, I know it's time for a bathroom or snack break.

Array

School
    10th Planet & Nova Uniao
    Guys who want to be good at MMA or even Nogi grappling need to stop looking at wrestling and jiu jitsu as two seperate entities. Wrestling and Jits in the gi are seperate but they should be considered combined when gi-less. Imagine what Penn or Torres games would look like if those guys where better wrestlers. It would open up submission opportunities for them and also prevent them from ever being smuthered Guida style. Or picture if Clay Guida was a top level jiu-jitsu guy and everytime he smothered and blanketed someone the way he does he got a sub out of it. It boils down to the reason wrestlers are boring is because they can't sub and the reason jiu-jitsu fighters get held down and layed on is because their wrestling sucks, both sides of the coin need to include the other in order fix this problem. Well, that or everyone needs to start learning 10th Planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Maxwell View Post
    Guys who want to be good at MMA or even Nogi grappling need to stop looking at wrestling and jiu jitsu as two seperate entities. Wrestling and Jits in the gi are seperate but they should be considered combined when gi-less. Imagine what Penn or Torres games would look like if those guys where better wrestlers. It would open up submission opportunities for them and also prevent them from ever being smuthered Guida style. Or picture if Clay Guida was a top level jiu-jitsu guy and everytime he smothered and blanketed someone the way he does he got a sub out of it. It boils down to the reason wrestlers are boring is because they can't sub and the reason jiu-jitsu fighters get held down and layed on is because their wrestling sucks, both sides of the coin need to include the other in order fix this problem. Well, that or everyone needs to start learning 10th Planet.
    I agree.

Array

School
    Iron Fist Gym
    I agree.. when the gi is off its all the same to me. Different philosophies sure, but an open minded grappler takes from everything.

Array

School
    vortex jiujitsu
    true, everyone should learn 10th planet, or put me in a spaceship & wake me in 50 yrs when u.s. mma scoring finally makes since

Array

School
    Peter De Been Caroline Springs
    i like it just the way it is now.. cause when the 10th planet guys all start taking over mma, noone will be ready for them. when it starts, it will be just like when bjj was intoduced to the ufc. noone will have an answer for a long time.

Robert Sevigny

i ponder the same question, i think its because lets say YOUR on your back and they are ontop, they want to swing punches, you spend all this time BLOCKING and not enough time SETTING UP YOUR TECHNIQUES (at least not until they get the top guy to STOP MOVING first then they work their game) cause i say all the time watching a fight "why arent you hooking that leg and doing this/that sweep" cause youd think IF YOUR A BJJ BB, WHY ARENT THEY CONSTANTLY ATTACKING

no I think jui jitsu is growing. that's why you don't see as many subs being pulled off... because everybody knows how to defend against them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast