Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Array

School
    10th Planet San Francisco
    Is Ed Herman really saying jiu-jitsu in its entirety is ineffective, or is he saying that fighting off your back is ineffective? If it's the latter, then I have to agree with him, at least for now. It's a little disingenuous compare the rates of (T)KOs to submissions in MMA, since most decision victories are the result of superior wrestling or striking.

Array

School
    Lincoln Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Center
    Nobody knew who he was and now people will. He's saying stupid shit for attention and it's working.

Array

School
    Head instructor 10th Planet Mobile
    He's also pretty damn good. You better be catchin those triangles Jon.

K Madden

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor Culbertson View Post
    I think he is saying the same thing Eddie did, when Eddie said wrestlers are learning Jiu Jitsu defense, but guys guards aren't getting better. He just has a more prickely way of wording it.
    i think this is the first time ive ever read you giving constructive advice/comments on something! BRAVO! (no pun intended)
    haha
    really though, people are stupid and stay stupid things for attention. I'm one of those people sometimes.
    it doesnt work...we all know thats just a ploy to get all us JJ fans fired up so we read their stupid article and (HOPEFULLY! *fingers crossed*) click the ads next to the article.

Array

School
    10th Planet Peterborough
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Hall View Post
    Jiu Jitsu only works on idiots? Or.. "if you have any idea about the they're tricks it wont work?" The same exact thing can be said about stand up...Its not going to work unless they fall for one of your setups for a big punch or kick. Both grappling AND stand up is all about getting the right setup to use your technique. I dont like that douche..hes a complete one sided thinker..Feed him to Mir and then talk to him about jiu jitsu..
    +1

Array

School
    10th Pranet HQ Hollywood
    so many doubters and haters oh well
    oh yeah dont forget to check out

http://www.amazon.com/Advanced-Rubbe.../dp/1936608901

I don't think of it as BJJ being weak. I think it just takes so long to get lethal with BJJ (purple belt at least) that most of the field hasn't had time to train 4-8 years for it. This on top of the fact that most of the field knows basic BJJ anyway.
    It takes a long time to master feints and set-ups in muay thai and boxing, but it doesn't take long to know how to strike properly and get a KO.

Array

School
    Black trunk mma Cape Coral, FL
    Quote Originally Posted by David Stager View Post
    Is Ed Herman really saying jiu-jitsu in its entirety is ineffective, or is he saying that fighting off your back is ineffective? If it's the latter, then I have to agree with him, at least for now. It's a little disingenuous compare the rates of (T)KOs to submissions in MMA, since most decision victories are the result of superior wrestling or striking.

But wasn’t ed herman submitted by demian maia through a triangle which started of his back.

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Evans View Post
    I like the commentary. It doesn't say flat out "you are wrong," but rather supports the other side of the argument, and then explains that debates like this are great and necessary for the sport to evolve. It manages to state an opinion without attacking anybody.

Side note: If BJJ only works on idiots, then I must be a legitimate retard, because I train it every day, and I get tapped about 100 times per week or more

Hmm. So according to him, boxing shouldn't work because of the amount of power punches that miss. In proportion, punches fail more frequently than submission attempts.

And as I've said in another thread, if jiu jitsu doesn't work, why are black belts tapping eachother. Why can marcelo tap a champ like nothing? JJ clearly works. It's just that most guys aren't adapting well to the fact that wrestlers are learning to stop submissions better.

Array

School
    Rōnin
    there's peapole think that BJJ doesn't work then what chance does tradition martial arts like TKD,karate, and Kung Fu have to be Legitimized.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12