Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Array

School
    10th Pranet HQ Hollywood

Royce wants 7-figure payday to fight at UFC 134 (DAYUUUM)

News
    from fightersonlymagazine.co.uk/

Back to News Index
    23/06/11 - Gracie wants seven-figures for appearing at UFC 134

Royce Gracie has confirmed that he is looking for at least one million dollars to appear at UFC 134.

Gracie, who won three of the first four UFC tournaments and is one of the fathers of MMA, appeared on Brazilian show Sensei SporTV this week to renew his calls for a spot on the UFC Rio card.

“Matt Hughes in the Octagon in Rio would be ideal. He’s the one I’m after,” Gracie said, hungry for a rematch of their UFC 60 meeting which ended in a first-round TKO win for Hughes. “In that fight with him I’d gone overboard in training. Dad [Helio Gracie] told me ‘That’s a mistake.’”

After the loss Gracie faced some criticism for not having moved with the times and having the same kind of game he had in the very first UFC event, some twelve years previously.

“I’ve been doing Jiu-Jitsu for 44 years. I always kept my mind open to other styles but just to know what I may be up against. I’m not going to learn wrestling to try and take down Matt Hughes,” he said, before outlining his belief that it is better to be deep in one art than shallow in many.

“If I go and train MMA, what does that mean? Training MMA is [for] Kimbo Slice. Can he stand and bang with a boxer? No. Can he put up a good fight on the ground? No. He’s a tough guy, but he’s not good. MMA isn’t a martial art [in itself]. You have to have somewhere you come from, you have to know an art.”

As for his hopes of appearing at UFC 134, there has been no word from the promotion on whether he will be invited to fight, although it doesn’t appear likely as the card is filling up rapidly. Gracie wants a slot badly - but wants top dollar as well.

“Dana White knows what I’m worth; he knows what I bring to the table. Yes, my fight purse has seven digits!” he confirmed with a laugh.

I thought dana already told him no?

Array

School
    10th Pranet HQ Hollywood
    Royce is the man,if i was Dana i would say yes!

im sensing a theme here with the gracies any body else ??? pick up on the vibe

Array

School
    Going Rogue Again
    whats with these fucking gracies and money man, all the older guys seem to be looking for nothing but money. rener is the man though

Array

School
    10th Pranet HQ Hollywood
    they walk into the octagon after busting there ass

and the owner makes a killing from selling tickets in there name

so its not about the money

Array

School
    Delaware Barbell Club & Fitness BJJ
    i guess they need it for retirement funds

Array

School
    10th Planet JJ Melbourne Oz Australia
    Here we go again

Array

School
    KCBJJ
    Where I train we have a wide screen in the corner that sometimes plays old school pride and UFC matches. Most of the new guys still look at the old Royce matches in awe of the weird clothes and utter violent randomness. I don't think Royce has the same pull that he used to.

This is all types of craziness. I hope he was joking about the 7-figure purse comment?

I mean I'd be down to watch Royce and Hughes again, but does Royce really want a million bucks to lose again? And he still thinks training MMA to fight in the world's biggest MMA league is not important? What?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast