Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Array

School
    10th Pranet HQ Hollywood

Shogun Rua calls for UFC to permit stomps

from www.espn.co.uk/

Mauricio Shogun Rua has told ESPN that he believes stomps should be made legal in the UFC.

Former Pride star Shogun has spent the majority of his career in competitions permitting stomps, and he is a huge advocate of that particular weapon.

The UFC had to outlaw the technique in order to bring the sport of MMA into the mainstream, a move Rua completely understands as president Dana White continues to take the sport into new territories.

However, the weekend's Strikeforce event saw fellow Brazilian Fabricio Werdum willingly hitting the mat in order to avoid a striking contest with Alistair Overeem, a tactic that may not have proved so tempting had stomps and soccer kicks still been permitted.

Shogun has finished a handful of opponents with one of the two techniques in his career, and his own view is that elbows have more reason to be outlawed.

"In Brazil MMA is ready for the UFC now," Shogun told ESPN. "Many people have seen the UFC, many people like MMA. It's very popular now, and after UFC 134 on August 27 it will change even more because people will see this big show.

"I hope for a change in rules. The stomps... my opinion is elbows are more dangerous than stomps."

Asked directly if he would like the UFC to make stomps legal, Shogun answered: "Yes!"

Array

School
    10th Planet Corona
    Have to say I agree. I've always thought it was more for fighter's safety but at the end of the day they are fighters and safety can only be a concern up to a rational point.
    I say allow stomps and elbows, it'll make for more decisive wins and come one...
    Who DOESN'T wanna see some shogun flying stomp jumps in UFC? :P

Array

School
    10th Pranet HQ Hollywood
    i think the only thing that should be changed is the 12 - 6 elbows

thats it!
    :-D

oh by the way dont forget
    http://www.amazon.com/Advanced-Rubbe.../dp/1936608901

Array

School
    TV & Internet ;)
    + Yellow Card!

Array

School
    Roger Gracie Academy
    Hell yeah!!!!

Along with upkicks if you could knee, stomp and kick to the head on the ground in the UFC it would go along way in my opinion to help stop Wrestlers from making the sport boring! Pride was amazing back in the day and yes I agree with Jimmie bring in the yellow card system.

I am okay with stomps to anywhere but the head, and I want elbows on the ground taken out of the game. Elbows lead to cuts, and cuts lead to early stopage of fights. Also, elbows on the ground are lazy. Let's force the use of JJ technique on the ground and force the wrestlers to posture up.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Will never happen again!!! The althletic commission would never allow it and if they did MMA would start to be illegal again in many states, if not all the states.

I would love to see it....but not to the head

Never to the head after seeing that kung fu guy video that still haunts me.

Array

School
    Roger Gracie Academy
    Regarding the Kung-fu video a ref would have stopped the fight long before it got to that stage.

Array

School
    10th Planet Springfield, Mo.
    Go to Arkansas... They couldn't care less about safety rules... Haha... I've seen some brutal stuff in little rock

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast