Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Array

School
    10th Planet Seongnam
    For me, there's over a 90% submission rate with the "bollinger neck tie". Even when they're ready for it, they can't stop it.

Array

School
    Port City MMA
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Endicott View Post
    Just don't use my rash guard as a gi, please. They're expensive, and rip easily when people do that.
    Yea, I hate it when people do that... I know that it comes natural but then again so does trying to bench press someone when they're in high mount... That's why we train, we learn to fight against our "natural" instincts and let technique prevail... As Renato would say: "that's Jiu Jitsu"!!!

Array

School
    10th planet charlotte
    bolinger neck tie looks awsome,,!!

So is 10th Planet Sweeden on here? I thought they were big on the gi.

Array

School
    !0thP ATX
    My instructor is big on the Gi so I'll try to hit up a Gi class once a week or so, but I'll catch lockdown alot and work a lot of half guard stuff to sweep. man that lockdown has become bread and butter for me!

Array

School
    10th Planet Hartford
    Renato, respectfully, please do some research. Gracie/Brazilian Jiu Jitsu comes from Judo learned from a Japanese practitioner. Judo comes from (I think) 9 different Ju Jutsu schools that Jigoro Kano studied and integrated into his own philosophies/training methods. For years, the Kodokan Judoka trained without what we now recognize as the "JudoGi" or "Kimono" worn in BJJ. He developed it for the sport of Judo and to have a uniform for students to practice in. Prior to that, they trained in every day clothing with no special design for the sport. A gi is just a piece of clothing, it doesn't matter what you wear practicing your art. Karatekas, Sambo players, Tae Kwon Do, Muay Thai Boxers, and Judokas ALL call their art what it is regardless of what you're wearing when you use the technique. What, are you going to ask the mugger in Miami Beach to wait a minute while you run to your hotel for your gi and then run back to confront him? No. You're going to do what you have to do regardless. I also find it funny that the hardcore gi players have no problem saying that it's Jiu Jitsu that wins regardless of the technique or what they're wearing, but don't take note when they lose. I respect all, and everyone's opinion, but I really am getting bored with meaningless debates and opinions that aren't fully researched. Ari, I think this is a great idea. I've found gi to be easier with having the grips, but I don't believe the gi makes my no-gi better. Different aspects of the same discipline.

Array

School
    10th Planet SF / Self
    "Yea, I hate it when people do that... I know that it comes natural but then again so does trying to bench press someone when they're in high mount... That's why we train, we learn to fight against our "natural" instincts and let technique prevail... As Renato would say: "that's Jiu Jitsu"!!!" -Josh Smith

I typically just go limp and stop rolling when I feel someone has latched onto my rashie, and continue immediately when they let it go. Gets the point across without any potential for conflict.

Array

School
    Gracie Barra St. Peters/10th Planet Ronin
    I find it easier to maintain Twister side control with the gi on

Array

School
    Rocha BJJ / Gracie Humaita

My 2 cents

I love gi BJJ, I love TPJJ, and I mix the two...A LOT. Here is a random list of some things I have noticed, off the top of my head. I'm curious to hear what people think, and would love feedback. BTW, many of the problems here I think could be fixed by readjusting/redesigning the moves for a gi and not being attached to "how the video says to do it online" when it is a nogi video. Eddie and everyone else have spent years tweaking everything perfectly for nogi, so don't expect the same thing to be perfect for gi - you gotta use your head!

1/2 Guard:
    -It is easier to keep someone flat with grips, so whip-ups are harder to use, especially to sweep (vs recovering guard)
    -Grips make a lot of TPJJ moves possible from just a deep-1/2 (or inside 1/2 or whatever you want to call it)

Full guard:
    -As noted by others, something similar can be done with the gi, which also has much more rotational force with it
    -Grips make it way easier for the guy on top to stay tight and wait for just the right moment to posture hard and slip out
    -Gripping the gi in various spots or the belt can really help transition between RG positions, e.g. if you can't get the double-bagger, just grab his belt.
    -I have no idea why, but the triangle lockflow series doesnt seem to work nearly as well in a gi. I go for teepees and bolt locks, but I only ever seem to get the regular triangle. I think it is because they can get a grip with the trapped arm?

Twister Side Control:
    -Seems to work perfectly, if not better. Because it is more dynamic than regular side control, when the guy rolls out, he really has nowhere to go when you can just grab his gi. Add in lapel chokes even as threats, and guys just give up other positions and subs.

There's a million others, just off the top of my head

Array

School
    Rocha BJJ / Gracie Humaita

Getting choked...A LOT

I have a question for you gi guys trying to use the lockdown with a gi. Once I get double unders, my neck feels open. I keep it tucked into the guy's chest and all that, but it still seems easy for my opponent to pull a lapel choke, or most especially, an Ezekiel. Nobody has ever successfully Ezekieled me no-gi, but it is my Achilles heal with a gi on. I find I have to give up all of my good positioning to defend it - unders, on my side, something even the guard itself - and even then I get taped by it over 1/2 the time. I go for sweeps, but it's not always there if the guy is big or has strong base. Do you find this problematic as well? How do you deal with it? I highly doubt anyone is getting Ari with an Ezekiel, but how does it get defended when people try?

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast