Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester

Three Strikes and You’re Out: Dana White Says He’s Done with Nate Marquardt

The saga now simply known as “Nate-Gate,” surrounding Nate Marquardt’s removal from UFC on Versus 4 and his subsequent firing by UFC president Dana White, has not only cost him a job, but now he’s been black-balled by the organization.

With fans outpouring for Marquardt to get a second chance after he revealed the nature of the hormone replacement therapy that boosted his testosterone to unacceptable levels by athletic commission standards, White took the time to expand on why he will not be back in the UFC again.

He explained that bringing Marquardt back wouldn’t simply be a second chance, it’s more like three strikes and you’re out.

“To me this is his fourth chance; this would be a fourth chance,” White told MMAWeekly.com on Thursday. “He tested positive before, then apparently he was on suspension with New Jersey because his levels were high, then he comes into (Pittsburgh) and he doesn’t pass his medicals. Now you tell me is that fourth chance or is that a second chance? Sounds like a fourth chance to me.”

The previous positive test that White spoke about stems from a UFC fight in 2005 when, after a win over Ivan Salaverry, Marquardt tested positive for nandrolone metabolite, an anabolic steroid.

Marquardt categorically denied the charges, saying that the substance came from an over-the-counter supplement, but was suspended for five months by the Nevada State Athletic Commission.

White admits that Marquardt is well liked among fight fans and by everyone inside the UFC, but it doesn’t mask the fact that he did something wrong and he deserved to be punished for it.

“Nate’s a nice guy, he’s a real sweet, nice, humble guy, but the facts are the facts,” said White. “It’s easier to go after a guy like Josh Barnett, you know what I mean? He’s just callous and rude and a dick, so it’s easier when he does it to just go, you know what? (Expletive) Josh Barnett. The difference is Nate’s such a sweet, nice guy with the same results.”

White also points to the timeline for when he was notified about Marquardt’s standing with the commission that led to his eventual firing. The UFC president says that employees within Zuffa who deal with medicals were notified about Marquardt’s situation, but he was never personally involved in the dealings until two days before weigh-ins for the UFC on Versus 4 event.

“I literally didn’t know that till Thursday, but the people in my organization did. The people who handle the medicals and things like that. I was pretty upset about it when I found out about it on Thursday. If I would have known earlier, I would have made sure it was taken care of differently,” White stated.

Whether the outcry and pleads for Marquardt to be reinstated are loud or soft, White was emphatic in saying that he has fought his last fight in the UFC.

“Nate’s done,” said White. “I’m done with Nate.”

nates a scrub

Array

School
    10th Planet Saint Paul
    His career might not be over, but he doesn't have many options.

Array

School
    10th Planet Fort Lauderdale Hotbox!
    This upsets me greatly! Nate has been one of my favorite fighters to watch since I first got into the UFC many years ago! I think Dana is being way too harsh on him. Hopefully the fans speak up and convince Dana to change his mind, but we all know how hard-headed DW can be so I'm not expecting it.

It's a sad day for the UFC. For real.

Array

School
    Team AMMA
    I loved Nate as well, but when the dude is obviously trying to cheat the system he has to go.

There is no problem with hormone replacement therapy, but as a fighter/pro athlete if you were legit about it you would be getting checked like every week or so to make sure you're levels were staying in the normal range and not being jacked to illegal levels.

Prescription roids/hormones are legal, no problem, but when you use them and jack your levels above above 'normal' and try to use the excuse that you have a prescription. Please.

As Dana said, no doubt Nate is an awesome, good guy but he just got so hungry chasing the dream he had to trade his soul to do it by the looks.

Sad in so many ways. Wish him all the best
    www.twitter.com/totalpac

www.totalpackagepromotions.net
    Don't stop dreaming just cause you wake

Array

School
    Back from vacation
    Everyone is on Roids! Even half of the announcers.

Array

School
    10th Planet Saint Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt "Gumby" Glach View Post
    This upsets me greatly! Nate has been one of my favorite fighters to watch since I first got into the UFC many years ago! I think Dana is being way too harsh on him. Hopefully the fans speak up and convince Dana to change his mind, but we all know how hard-headed DW can be so I'm not expecting it.

It's a sad day for the UFC. For real.
    Dana is not being too harsh, and he shouldn't change his mind. Nate's been caught before, and he got caught again. Good luck to you Nate, but you gotta go.

Array

School
    UFC Gym -- Thomas Kenney
    let's see...dude does roids...gets caught...do to taking roids he has low testosterone at a very young age...gets medicated....takes so much roids that after stopping 3 weeks out he can't get his roid levels down in time...

problem with all of this is that the loophole allowed him to get all of the benefits of training with elevated testosterone levels and hoped to come down to normal levels for the fight. 3rd time he has a problem and this results in fucking up a main event...yep....he has to go. It's like dana said...either he's cheating or he has had a terrible doctor for years.

Array

School
    10th Planet Van Nuys
    He needs hormone replacement therapy because all those roids he did for years probably shut his natural testosterone production in a way where he can't just restart it in time. These are just one of the many side effects of steroids. He made a lot of money a career and fame off of them so it is not all lost in vain. Its just the natural decline of all PED'in athlete. And trust me, if an athlete is caught doing roids, there is a great chance that he has been juicing his whole career.

Array

School
    Roger Gracie Academy
    i would love to know what percentage of mma fighters r on roids but at the same time wouldnt, its very disheartening for young people hoping to have a career in fighting, can see why dana fired him but at the same time u dont see guys like Bonnar getting fired and thats because their friends with the boss

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast