Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Array

School
    KCBJJ

Recovery Tips for an aching Shoulder?

So, for the past couple of weeks my left shoulder has been killing me. Nothing debilitating just a general ache and soreness near the back of the shoulder joint and the surrounding area. When I rotate my shoulder it makes a small popping sensation at 12 o'clock.

It's fine during training as activity warms it up and the pain goes away. Even heat packs and running it under hot water alleviates the pain for 30 minutes at a time. Range of motion and strength are all fine and lately I've been using a sling to alleviate some of the soreness since having it hang seems to aggravate it. It's totally bizarre, I feel like sitting, standing, and just being idle are more of a detriment to it than actually using it.

Is anybody familiar with this sort of injury? I don't necessarily need a cure or direct medical advice just some general ideas to push my own research into a productive direction.

Thanks for any help any of you can provide.

Array

School
    Back from vacation
    You are just having a heart attack.

Let me preface wit the fact that i have zero medical experience...which means I probably shouldn't even post. That being said sometimes when you work out your body will release endorphins that may be staving off the pain. IMHO though its always a good thing to see a doc. People may call those who run to a doc at the slightest pain a pussy, but at least you will be a pussy with a functioning body at 40. You know what I mean?

What does everyone else think

Array

School
    KCBJJ
    Other people have suggested a similar thing, that during jiujitsu I won't notice it due to the endorphins. However, it seriously doesn't hurt when I am actively doing anything either. If I were to do 5 push ups right now, it would feel fine and the pain would subside for a few moments. It's only when I am sitting upright or standing, when it just hangs that the aching gets worse.

I've had heart attack pains before, those just turned out to be chest pressure from gas.

Array

School
    Head instructor 10th Planet Mobile
    In my professional medical opinion, which is totally valid, you should stop doing jj for 6 to 8 weeks. If you go to another doctor they will probably say the same thing along with a script for 800mg motrin. What you are going to do is ignore that advice and use the natural wounded animal rehab until A) something tears, or B) it goes away.

Good luck Thief. Back better?

Array

School
    KCBJJ
    Yeah, the back is awesome. I just had to make a few changes in my training to give it space to heal. The same with my knee... I trained for 5 sessions straight this past week and my back and knee feel better than ever.. this shoulder thing though. It's been on and off ever since my flight in to Florida. The plane ride just wrecked me, sitting in place for several hours.

Array

School
    10th Planet Ronin
    Sounds like arthritus to moi, heat and movement help to relieve arthritus pain. You dont have to be old to experience arthritus, it is caused by wear and tear in the joints. Take some joint supplements and lots of them, id recommend animal flex

Array

School
    10th Planet Coquitlam
    I have left shoulder issues as well. Not actually a shoulder issue, it's a cervical spine (neck) issue of a compressed nerve, and it is manifesting in the shoulder. Ache, heaviness, tingly etc..Went to a sports therapist and it's been helping. First went to chiro and made it worse when he did neck adjustment.

Array

School
    KCBJJ
    I'll give it a shot, I've definitely read great things about animal flex.

Array

School
    10th Planet Ronin
    Im on it all year round, both my shoulders are jacked from multiple dislocations and not getting it reset properly

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast