Thread: The Clinch

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ circa 2006-07

The Clinch

I am reading the Book of Five Rings by Musashi Miyamoto published in 1644 right now. Here is a quote from the book.

" Glue and Lacquer Emulsion Body
    The spirit of "Glue and Lacquer Emulsion Body" is to stick to the enemy
    and not separate from him. When you approach the enemy, stick
    firmly with your head, body and legs. People tend to advance their head
    and legs quickly, but their body lags behind. You should stick firmly so
    that there is not the slightest gap between the enemy's body and your
    body. You must consider this carefully. "

Array

School
    10th Planet Dawsonville Hotbox
    That;s fascinating, I knew Musashi was an incredible swordsman but I've never knew he knew developed a hand to hand system. Even though it was written long before BJJ the philosophy still applies to it. What a Genius.

Array

School
    10th Planet Riverside/ Mammoth lakes Bjj
    I've been procrastinating on getting the book. But know with that quote I must run out
    And get it today. Thanks for this post. Good stuff.

Array

School
    10th Planet Riverside/ Mammoth lakes Bjj
    I've been procrastinating on getting the book. But know with that quote I must run out

Array

School
    credit to E.Mays & N.Coleman
    Bruce lee liked him, that's why I bought it

amazing read.

Array

School
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by Griffin Lambert View Post
    That;s fascinating, I knew Musashi was an incredible swordsman but I've never knew he knew developed a hand to hand system. Even though it was written long before BJJ the philosophy still applies to it. What a Genius.
    The quote doesn't actually refer to hand to hand combat, but it can easily be applied to it. He's speaking about staying on the guy and moving as one when you advance, which is good advice whether in hand to hand, sword combat, or sport BJJ. It also refers to moving the body forward as you attack, not being afraid of being attacked back, not leaving back the body out of fear of counter. The universal values his book gave are what really did make it so popular. Good read for anyone, martial artist or not.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    I haven't read the book of five rings in over 19 years....time to dust it off.
    Check out my instructional website:www.zogipedia.com

Head Coach 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Rochester www.10thplanetjiujitsurochester.com

Quote Originally Posted by Raul Nava View Post
    You can download for free online. No reason not to have it.

Array

School
    Salem
    I was just flipping through that before I got on to read the forums haha. That book really lets me get into the roots of our art. I love that book! Musashi was wise beyond his years. I really like how he explains quickness in relation to speed. You adjust your speed in relation to your opponent instead of going, going, going fast all time. You'll miss opportunities that way.

Those teachings and watching Marcelo roll with people have single handedly changed my style. Not that I have any really at this point but I was a wrestler so its hard to remember just to slow down and not be so intense. I've been able to shut down people's game easier and last way longer then they do no matter how athletic they seem to be.