Array

School
    Iron Fist Gym
    So many garbage rules.

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    Quote Originally Posted by Max P. View Post
    I think banana splits are legal, although I'm not sure. Can't find anything in the rules which prohibits it.
    I'm gonna assume they're not. Probably considered a leg lock. Better to ask first than pull it off and get DQ'd.

Quote Originally Posted by J Grooms View Post
    So many garbage rules.
    Rules are meant to keep people safe. I know how you feel, but understand their perspective. On your end you're thinking "but I know a ton of subs, and they're limiting my options."

Truth is they eliminate more accidents by getting rid of things like heel hooks, compression locks, banana splits, crotch rippers from lower belt classes. Yeah it'd be more fun to be able to roll with everything, but at the same time, I wouldn't trust another white belt (or blue belt) to know not to tear my friggin groin apart if they caught me in a banana split. He'd probably get so excited to be there that he's go full blast while i need PT for 3 months. Or I'd hate to blow a guy's knee out if I have a calf slicer and they're too stubborn to tap cuz they can handle the pain.

The rules are there for a reason, whether we like it or not. Better safe than sorry. Just a thought.

Array

School
    Iron Fist Gym
    No I just think its becoming over regulated.. it has nothing to do "I know sooo many subs". I understand some of the rules... but seriously, because you have to play to the rules you have to exclude the truck entirely. (Except taking the back.) There is no reason why banana splits, calf crank and bicep slicers should be illegal. Just because they are uncommon in traditional bjj doesn't mean they should be excluded, and what's the difference between a kneebar and an armbar? Its just bs over regulation.

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by J Grooms View Post
    No I just think its becoming over regulated.. it has nothing to do "I know sooo many subs". I understand some of the rules... but seriously, because you have to play to the rules you have to exclude the truck entirely. (Except taking the back.) There is no reason why banana splits, calf crank and bicep slicers should be illegal. Just because they are uncommon in traditional bjj doesn't mean they should be excluded, and what's the difference between a kneebar and an armbar? Its just bs over regulation.
    Like I said man, I'm not sure if I trust a white/blue to know to not go full blast on a banana split. I do think calf slicers and bicep slicers should be legal. But I'm assuming they've had bad injuries because guys refused to tap. I think they're operating under the "better safe than sorry" approach.

Array

School
    Iron Fist Gym
    Someone can just as easily blow your shoulder apart with an americana or kimura. I'm just stating how I feel about it. Ppl know what they are in for when they sign up.

Array

School
    True. But I'm gonna guess a guy taps quicker to an omoplata than a calf crunch. Omoplata you know it'll break if you don't tap. A lot of guys are stubborn when it comes to slicers. But to me a banana split should only be brown belt and higher. That junk is scary to me. Daniel Gracie didn't look too good after Vinny Mag landed it. Not sure if I would trust a white/blue with that.

Array

School
    11th Dimension
    For me to get blue is very strict so all that should be legal. I am very afraid of white belts during comp because they tend to rip on subs to get them. It just makes your defense better. "If you can't take the heat then get out of the kitchen."

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Morency View Post
    For me to get blue is very strict so all that should be legal. I am very afraid of white belts during comp because they tend to rip on subs to get them. It just makes your defense better. "If you can't take the heat then get out of the kitchen."
    Point taken. Honestly, I'm just suddenly terrified of banana splits and crotch rippers ever since I seen Daniel Gracie's reaction. I'm like, damn, I don't want that. I thing calf/bicep slicers should be allowed though.

Array

School
    Iron Fist Gym
    Kneebars should be legal also... its much harder to break a knee than an arm imo.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast