Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 50/50 Question

Array

School
    10th Planet Dawsonville Hotbox

50/50 Question

I have a leg lock question. So I'm in 50/50 with an outside leg triangle. How can I safely transition to the high side outside ankle lock? I always get caught in a reverse heel hook....

Array

School
    Dark Horse SWA\10th Planet Bear DE
    Its not a very high percentage lock but it can be done. I actually prefer the toe hold on that foot to the ankle lock (push the toes to the butt and sit up on your side for the toe hold). Are you letting go of your leg triangle to try and get the outside ankle lock?? You shouldn't have to give this up in order to get the ankle lock The problem with that particular ankle lock is there is nothing to lock the hip in place on the outside leg. In order to lock the hip...i shift my inside leg (knee) up and under your opponents hip and shift all my weight to that side.
    Another good rule of thumb for an ankle lock is that you should be able to see the the top of their foot and their toes should be in your armpit (this will break all of the little bones in the top of the foot if you dont tap). If you cant see the top of their foot you are most likely applying an achillies lock...which causes pain but can be toughed out. I personally like submissions that break bones vs. just applying pain...especially in tournaments.

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ
    Jason Eisner can help you with this one, he's a 50/50 maniac
    Follow me on Instagram @eddiebravo10p

SUBSCRIBE to my videos youtube.com/twistereddie

Array

School
    Here is a video example and step by step from me and gabbys gym...

Array

School
    I like that a lot. I want to transition from the outside triangle to this

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...w=1366&bih=500

He's doing a heel hook rather than the ankle lock but thats the position I mean by high side outside.

Array

School
    Hmmm...that position would probably be higher percentage from the sambo knot vs. the 50/50. Usually in the 50/50 your opponents right leg (in the picture you provided) would be across your stomach and triangled/locked on the other side...if it is not...then the inverted heal hook is probably a higher percentage option than throwing the leg across and trying to reposition your legs. Not saying its impossible...but thats not really 50/50 at that point...thats classic straight ankle lock or heel hook position.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Griffin-from a guy that uses the knot a lot and 50/50 alittle. I can say its not easy, it takes a lot of steps, and your oppenent might not hang out long enough for you to get to the knot. first I would suggest lifting your hips and let his leg go to the far hip( like lifting your hips during a triangle to get the arm across). unhook your leg triangle, take your outside like and thread it over his leg and under his other leg behind the knee.(make sure your pulling your inside out as your outside leg replaces it, like replacing hooks in spiderweb) Then bring in your other leg to finish the knot. Alittle tip when you do get to the knot stretch your legs,it makes everything tighter. hope this helps.

Array

School
    Thanks Scott! Thats exactly what I'm talking about. Thanks for the help.

Array

School
    KCBJJ
    Is there a way to transfer from the 50/50 to X-guard and then hit the high outside from there?

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    I'm sure you can do that but you would have to loosen your 50/50 clinch so he could stand up that way you could get to x-quard. If it was me I would go from x-guard to 50/50. I'm not to sure what your asking "high outside" AJ.
    Griffin, keep me posted

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast