Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Dustin C.

Question for instructors

Why is it that when you go to class almost all Jits schools teach some random technique every night, beginner or advanced. Wouldn't all students learn faster if they learned in an organized way rather than random? why not teach how it chains all together and rep the heck out of it for the week, then after you rep it, for example a guard pass all week then chain it to side control or whatever.

Every school I have been to its very random and frustrating because they lack structure. I have heard so many times "that's how it is", well that doesn't mean its a good thing. Almost every other art has structure, and what technique you need to work on next. But for some reason BJJ does not. (accept many Gracie schools, even their on line school has structure and flow drills that chain together from beginner to advanced)

Not meant to be disrespectful, just seems counter productive to teach 3 subs if you cant even pass guard.
    Thx

It'll be much easier to chain everything together if most of the students would be consistent with their training

well since im a white belt and only have trained in one school i dont know if im right here here, but my guess would be, that it can be hard to chain stuff together because you have so many possibilities in jiu jitsu. of course you can chain stuff, but you have to show the other possibilities too.
    btw as far as im concerned, my coach is trying to chain stuff together but as he said above, its hard to do so if students arent consistent in their training

A good example of the method Dustin wants to see is Chris Herzog from 10th Planet Rochester. Check out his videos on YouTube!

Array

School
    10th Planet Springfield
    Most of the time at our gym its because of how many newbs we have. There is always different people in, we rarely have a consistent class.
    superherojiujitsuacademy.com
    http://www.defensesoap.com/idevaffil...ate.php?id=327
    10P4L
    F&V forever
    Ps 144:1 Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
    Ge 32:24 And Jacob was left alone; and there wrestled a man with him until the breaking of the day.
    Blackbelt 3/28/13

Array

School
    10th Planet Hollywood
    At HQ we usually drill the same techniques for two weeks, which I really like. Denny seems to do the same techniques for at least a week up at SF too.

You definitely don't learn a technique from drilling it one night. I think a lot of jitz guys are lazy though. Like, "I've drilled this technique four times, can we do something else?"

Dustin C.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthias Sieber View Post
    It'll be much easier to chain everything together if most of the students would be consistent with their training
    Yes of course consistency and possibilities, thats a given. I am talking more about structure. For example the diagram in Eddies book showing how one thing leads to another (yes there will always be variables) but why isn't classes organized or structured this way? I am probably not explaining what I mean very well lol@me

Dustin C.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Dewitt Jr View Post
    Most of the time at our gym its because of how many newbs we have. There is always different people in, we rarely have a consistent class.
    Maybe having a beginner class and advance class would change that?

Array

School
    10th Planet Springfield
    Quote Originally Posted by Dustin C. View Post
    Maybe having a beginner class and advance class would change that?
    Then you would be talking about different monthly prices, and a slew of other possibilities.
    superherojiujitsuacademy.com
    http://www.defensesoap.com/idevaffil...ate.php?id=327
    10P4L
    F&V forever
    Ps 144:1 Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
    Ge 32:24 And Jacob was left alone; and there wrestled a man with him until the breaking of the day.
    Blackbelt 3/28/13

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Dewitt Jr View Post
    Then you would be talking about different monthly prices, and a slew of other possibilities.
    We have a basics and advanced class, AND a class for anybody. But here in Omaha we usually work something for a week or two. I really like it...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast