Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ circa 2006-07

Ryan Hall Interview ...

He mentions the reason for his criticism of the RG in the past around the 37 minute mark.

http://www.grapplearts.com/ryanhall/...I_UTa2VNC2.qkq

Array

School
    KCBJJ
    It's interesting how he developed a narrow competitive game early in his career and how strengthening that one direction made him competitive at such a high level.

"When it comes to the setup, there's so many different ways you can do it. There's some valid ways, some not so valid ways but you know that's one of the reasons I've been critical of, for instance, like the rubber guard in the past. Not because I feel that there's no value, but because it squares me up to you and I have to have an attribute advantage in order to be routinely successful against a skilled opponent."

That's a hell of an endorsement. Eddie should put that in his next book, Ryan Hall says rubber guard is "not so valid"

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ circa 2006-07
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Allen View Post
    "When it comes to the setup, there's so many different ways you can do it. There's some valid ways, some not so valid ways but you know that's one of the reasons I've been critical of, for instance, like the rubber guard in the past. Not because I feel that there's no value, but because it squares me up to you and I have to have an attribute advantage in order to be routinely successful against a skilled opponent."

That's a hell of an endorsement. Eddie should put that in his next book, Ryan Hall says rubber guard is "not so valid"
    Early on Ryan use to talk good about the Rubber Guard, then he flipped and said it was bad, now at least he is saying that it is valid BUT that it is attribute driven. First, I would say that a lot of his stuff, particularly his 50/50 entrances are attribute driven and require very flexible hips. Second I would say that angles are very important for the Rubber Guard especially for us who do not have as much flexibility in our hips as Ryan or Eddie do. I have to work the angles in order to land armbars and triangles from the Rubber Guard.

Array

School
    Rhyno's Gym
    It seems so silly and almost like people are just grasping at straws when the only criticism for something is that its "attribute driven." It just doesn't make any sense to me and seems like such a caddy way to put techniques that aren't your own down. One of the things that i respect Eddie the most for is how i have never heard him speak poorly about or put down the validity of a particular technique. Even if it isn't something he particularly likes or maybe it doesn't work as well for him he never tries to slam it or deny the potential effectiveness of it. That's an "attribute" that i wish more people in the BJJ world possessed. Keeping an open mind is a very important thing in BJJ and life in general.

Array

School
    Lincoln Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Center
    Really great interview, thanks for posting. It's nice seeing articulate intelligence in the jiu jitsu community.

Array

School
    Newborn Cascao
    its weird that he does somewhat bash on "attribute driven" techniques yet he uses upside down guard a lot and says its because he is flexible and didn't know anything about flexibility until recent which tells me he probably didn't work on it to get flexible.
    Jigoro Kano → Tsunejiro Tomita → Mitsuyo "Count Koma" Maeda → Carlos Gracie, Sr. → Jean Jacques Machado → Eddie Bravo → Myself

Array

School
    10th Planet Springfield
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Valdez View Post
    its weird that he does somewhat bash on "attribute driven" techniques yet he uses upside down guard a lot and says its because he is flexible and didn't know anything about flexibility until recent which tells me he probably didn't work on it to get flexible.
    Yep!
    superherojiujitsuacademy.com
    http://www.defensesoap.com/idevaffil...ate.php?id=327
    10P4L
    F&V forever
    Ps 144:1 Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
    Ge 32:24 And Jacob was left alone; and there wrestled a man with him until the breaking of the day.
    Blackbelt 3/28/13

Array

School
    Carlson Gracie Miami/10P Miami/Ft. Laud Hotbox remnant
    What would Grand Master Sifu Supreme Greg Gaggenwanker 10th degree UFC black belt have to say about this?

Array

School
    Ronin
    that 10th degree UFC black belt has some sick jits

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast