Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur

Need some help from instructors

Okay so here's the deal. I got Eddie's book Mastering the Rubber Guard, and I'm chomping at the bit to start working on this stuff. Do you guys know any solo drills I can do to work on half guard. In particular the lockdown, the jaws of life, the whip up, and the old school. I'm the kind of guy that has to do it to learn it, but I don't have a partner all the time, and when I study I wanna drill what I'm learning then and there otherwise I'll forget it. Thanks in advanced

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago
    Grab one of your homies and have them be a grappling dummy. Or just get in and see Brandon as much as you can. A private with specific questions or paths you want to work would probably be good as well.

Array

School
    Head instructor 10th Planet Mobile
    Just stretch your ass off and visualize.

Array

School
    10th Planet Fort Lauderdale Hotbox!
    If you have a few hundred bucks to blow you could always buy a good quality grappling dummy. There are tons of threads on here evaluating the various types, I asked about it a while ago and got good responses.

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh Passini View Post
    Grab one of your homies and have them be a grappling dummy. Or just get in and see Brandon as much as you can. A private with specific questions or paths you want to work would probably be good as well.
    Haha that's what I'm doing right now. Brandon's a really good teacher and he's pretty flexible about working with me. I usually just have to text him and he'll figure out a time within at most a day that we can sit down and start working. I'm also just reading and visualizing what it's saying to do, which helps a lot actually.

Array

School
    10P Gulf Shores, Atlanta, Atmore
    stretch like crazy and find someone to dummy it up for you.

Array

School
    Back from vacation
    Pull guard on a homeless man.

Developing the right attitude will help a lot when you start swimming with the sharks. Don't take no for an answer.

Keep your stick on the ice TO THE 10TH POWER!!!

Array

School
    10th Planet Fort Lauderdale Hotbox
    Buy a small (10lb) medicine ball and use it to work your squeeze. It does wonders for your lockdown, whip-up, and RNC squeeze.

Array

School
    10th Planet Phoenix
    I have a 100 pound sandbag that I made (surplus store rucksack, hefty bags, playground sand < $20). I squeeze it between my knees and whip it up. I focus on using my core and my legs and only use my arms to "steer" the bag up and to the side. I also focus on an explosive lift and try to get my sacrum all the way off the ground. Helped my lockdown game (especially the whip up) tremendously. I rep it now mainly for core strength.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast