Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur

Need some MORE help from instructors

Okay so here's something I came up against tonight and I feel like an idiot for asking this BUT. . . .what can I do if, when I pull guard, my opponent keeps his knees together so that when I bring my hips in they are elevated off the mat. Should I just spread out my legs and bring my hips to the ground and then proceed to trying to break down his posture? Or is there something else I can do?

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur
    Not spread out my legs but back up a bit I guess and get my hips to the mat

Array

School
    Back from vacation
    up kick

Array

School
    Ronin
    I'm not instructor but.....if I understand you correctly his knees are together and on the ground and hes postured up he has no base so hip bump sweep. Also your hips shouldn't be on the ground if your sitting up trying to break his posture. But why didn't you just ask Brandon in class?
    formerly known as jmw0582

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur
    I didn't think about it at the time. I just thought about it after going over the matches with this guy in my head. It was fairly easy to pull guard on him but I wasn't able to really capitalize on it.

Array

School
    Boxing Works
    I find I get into that position when they are trying to dig their knees in to split my guard. If I can reach their arms, I'll normally try to brake down their "stiff arms" and clinch them again. If I can't break their grip in time, I'll lift my hips up onto their thighs to release the pressure.

From there, like mentioned above, it depends what they're doing.

Weight backwards, sit up into their lap and work hip bump/what ever works from there. He'll normally try to drive you back to the mat. Return to controlling posture.

If they are postured up, and you can wrap up their head, don't forget to drive your legs down into their hips to stretch them out (like the main way Eddie breaks posture)

Also, don't forget to pull them into you with your legs. This can fuck up their game if they can't get set.

If you can bring their weight forward, so they aren't sitting on their heels, you can shove your feet between theirs, grapevine their ankles and stretch them out, giving you enough space to stick one or two butterfly hooks in, and play from there.

You can always uncross your legs and play open......... (jokes)

Don't know if this will be of any help to you.

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Redlands
    Along the path you'll find that things won't always be picture perfect.

They know you'll pull Rubber Guard so they stay out. Cool, play open guard, butterfly, or even become the aggressor. At first, you'll get your guard passed and get swept, but after mat time, things will come together. Trust the butterfly.

Work your hips higher when you first pull guard, focus as much on your upper body clinch as your lower (this will allow you to adjust your guard without losing position), roll into kimura and kimura sweeps which allow you to open the legs and take angles
    Keep your stick on the ice TO THE 10TH POWER!!!