Array

School
    Dominance MMA Melbourne

Introduction and questions on self learning the system

Hi guys!

My name is James, I'm a 3 stripe white belt, training in Melbourne, Australia. I have been training gi jiu-jitsu for 20 months and am starting to dip my toes into no-gi (I entered some no-gi comps on a whim to see how different it was).

My gi comp record is 18-7-1 with 9 submissions. I'm 4-2 in no-gi with two submissions. I still don't know how to pass guard in no gi (first no gi class is next week!).

I thought that, as a fan of the system, I would start a log here and update it with my progress, comp videos and self reflective analysis. Your own thoughts and critique are of course welcome!

Im going to have to build most of my nogi game up from scratch, so my focus will be on:

- closed, half and butterfly sweeps
    - nogi guard passing (specifically the stacking underpass)
    - straight ankle locks
    - an effective front choke series (guillotine variations, anaconda and d'arce chokes)
    - attacks from back mount
    - of course, an offensive rubber guard

My plan will be to get the takedown (despite training in Australia, I have access to an Olympic wrestling coach), force them to turtle then either work the choke series or take the back. My next comp will be mid December (unless that us when Eddie is giving his seminar!)

After that, I will traveling to the US and training around the country, notably I will be at 10th Planet SF at the end of January

So, before I leave this post, if anyone has some links to suggested self training programmes for the system, or if any if the coaches here could give me an idea where to start (I own mastering the rubber guard and mastering the twister) self learning, I would greatly appreciate it.

Good to be here guys,

James.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    I'd start by visiting Frank Barca at 10th Planet Melbourne
    Check out my instructional website:www.zogipedia.com

Head Coach 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Rochester www.10thplanetjiujitsurochester.com

Array

School
    10th Planet JJ Melbourne Oz Australia
    Why rely on self training when there is a 10th Planet JJ Affiliated licensed instructor in your own city, who can break down the entire system for you, and an instructor who has more mat time with Eddie and the gang at HQ than any other Aussie?

James, come take a FREE class to get your feet wet 10th Planet style, and I would be more than happy to download the system literally from the horses mouth? Believe me, the people who are best at the system are the ones who are actually in it mate. It seems like you had no idea an official affiliate exists in Melbourne at all.

Just a suggestion.

Either way, looking forward to seeing you at Eddie's seminar at my academy, 10th Planet JJ Melbourne. Our door is aways open

Array

School
    Dominance MMA Melbourne
    I know about the gym Frank, but sadly you're over an hour away Ivan make the journey now and then, but not with any regularity - I'll make the effort to start coming in, especially because I am interested in focussing on no-gi now.

I'll come in for some fundamentals, maybe you can set me homework!

Array

School
    10th Planet JJ Melbourne Oz Australia
    Dude, thats the spirit mate. Love to.

ANytime pal my door is always open. I just want the system to be out there fundamentally as perfect as possible.

Trying to not sound like a douche, but an hour is nothing! Use the time to go over moves in your head, take a lot at your notes before class, write them down afterwards. Actually those traveling time is extra training time for you... So give it a try

Array

School
    10th Planet Melbourne
    James I live on the Gold Coast and train under Frank and make the trip down there as often as I can, If I lived an hour away I would be there nearly every night its well worth it. Even if you make it once a week you wont regret it.

Tiran

Array

School
    Dominance MMA Melbourne
    Thats going to be the plan, besides, it's really good to train at multiple locations, with lots of different partners.

Array

School
    credit to E.Mays & N.Coleman
    to pass someones guard in no gi just pin at least an arm maybe two is better and stand up, this will open up a lot of options.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2W283...eature=related

I do what genki does at 5:40 all the time, you can go to 50/50 guard from there or just keep the momentum going