Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Array

School
    10TH Planet Morgantown
    John, you've got one hell of a tight game for a crippled up guy... I say that in jest... I'm a bit banged up myself, but in all seriousness we ALL will eventually deal with this thread one day or another. I for one am exploring new ideas daily... Recently I discovered and mentioned Cobroxin to John in the hopes of helping his condition or affliction. Has anyone tried this stuff? Oral or topical!

Array

School
    10th Planet Springfield MO
    Im 31 but 6 years in the army really broke me down...I really like Osteo Bi-flex.

Array

School
    KCBJJ
    Right before I turned 31 I blew out my back. I've been abstaining from guard work lately to let it heal, taking time to focus on my top game. Been trying all kinds of stuff to help heal my back while I train.

Current Supplements:
    Arginine (amino acid)
    Resveratrol (antioxidant)
    Circumin (antioxidant)
    Maca (boner pill, but I use it for circulation)
    Glucosamine Chondroitin(joints)
    Fish Oil (joints, cardiovascular health)
    Kava Kava (muscle relaxant)

For training, I use a heat pack before I go to the gym to train. Before training I do a series of core stabilizing stretches and exercises. Basically any core and lower back exercise where the spine remains in supine state. I do more stretches during every break and at the end of class. When I get home, ice pack and then a heat pack.

Still doing more research and modifying everything until I find a good back rehab regiment.

Array

School
    10TH Planet Morgantown
    Core stabilization for lower back issues is a must! Ironically John Roderick is the guy that turned me onto kettle bell training for that EXACT reason!

Stretching is huge for me.
    I stretch before bed and before I even get out of bed. If you are plagued by a bad lower back typically hamstring tightness can beca major contributed to your issue.

As for supplements I use Ostio and other herbal mixes.

Array

School
    10th Planet VistA
    Im only 29, but I just wanted to thank you Big Dawgs for inspiring us whipper snappers to keep going!! I hope and pray I'm able to keep doing this at your age!! I see too many old men, out of shape, unable to play with their kids and I get scared! A round of applause for the true Men of the Mat!!

Array

School
    10th Planet Montreal
    Louis Ho where are you!

Array

School
    10th planet Birmingham UK
    I've joined the group and meet the age requirements as i'm 43 next month

Array

School
    Chungs Academy -Judo/TKD
    I've had 40 lucky years of surgery free living, 30+ years of those training. I think the secret is movement. Constant movement. The trouble is that by the time we're 16 and get a car -we stop moving. We stop playing "hide and seek" with the kids next door and trade recess for desk jobs. By the time the next 16 years have come and gone a sedentary lifestyle has set in. Even if you train 6 to 7 hours a week -that's a fraction of how you used to move as a developing kid. Injuries are excuses to "rest" and no doctor in their right mind would suggest running on a sprained ankle to get it better again. -But I would! Watch a wounded animal and see how they constantly fight for more range of motion on any busted limb. I get tossed around nightly by a 63 year old Korean who's laughing and trash talking the whole time; he treats me like I was a 10 year old! -His technique is sublime and his conditioning is unreal -and his whole life he just kept moving and training.

Array

School
    10th Planet Burbank
    Quote Originally Posted by BrandonWoolsey View Post
    I just turned 33 but am a disabled army vet with nerve and muscle damage from my low back all the way down my left leg. Does that count?
    that more than counts - you fucking win.

Array

School
    10th Planet Burbank
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Hirt View Post
    I've had 40 lucky years of surgery free living, 30+ years of those training. I think the secret is movement. Constant movement. The trouble is that by the time we're 16 and get a car -we stop moving. We stop playing "hide and seek" with the kids next door and trade recess for desk jobs. By the time the next 16 years have come and gone a sedentary lifestyle has set in. Even if you train 6 to 7 hours a week -that's a fraction of how you used to move as a developing kid. Injuries are excuses to "rest" and no doctor in their right mind would suggest running on a sprained ankle to get it better again. -But I would! Watch a wounded animal and see how they constantly fight for more range of motion on any busted limb. I get tossed around nightly by a 63 year old Korean who's laughing and trash talking the whole time; he treats me like I was a 10 year old! -His technique is sublime and his conditioning is unreal -and his whole life he just kept moving and training.
    awesome, awesome. couldn't agree more.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast