Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Array

School
    Gracie Barra St. Peters/10th Planet Ronin
    Stretch, Stretch and Stretch, I do yoga at home and show up at least 30 min. before class and strecth specifics for the rubber guard like the lotus and the others in the mastering the rubber guard book. The two times I have got hurt in the past few years I got to class late and rolled with out my warm up and paid for it both times. I wont make that mistake again. I just turned 43

Array

School
    10th Planet Hartford
    yeah, training without warming up over 30 is just not good. You reading this Neale and Kevin!! LOL!!! You guys will never laugh at me again before we roll. Mandatory 20 minute warm up if you're over 35!!!

Array

School
    Anu Academy
    for my caffeinated friends...I hear ya on how tough it is to give up

Array

School
    Gathering Place Judo
    Hello
    yeah I am 42..but its not the odd injuries inflicted by over eager 18 year olds but Time..time to train,,time it takes to heal..
    time to train is the biggest challenge..two kids take alot of time..thank god for the dvds and the books.and forgiving neighbors who have to put up with me rolling around at midnight
    .I train at a Judo club because of convienence of time and location near my work,,,hopefully 10th planet van will get the morning classes going

Array

School
    10th planet charlotte
    i need to stretch more myself

Array

School
    Great White BJJ-Wausau Wi
    I roll with a lot of younger guys,but since I warm up before the class warm ups,I can usually avoid injury. I like to roll as chill as possible,way too many younger guys act like it's their 1st UFC fight or something! After they settle down and get tired the we can start learning. That's why I'm here...

Array

School
    10th planet charlotte
    ^^^^^^ 1++++++++++++ on that statement

Awesome thread! In my mid-forties myself. I've been a fan of MMA from the start, but aside from a couple of Judo belts earned at a shopping mall dojo when I was 8, I have zero experience. I'm looking to learn more about the sport (and if I can get in shape at the same time all the better). Bring on the knowledge.

Array

School
    10th Planet Hartford
    D-Stach-I call those the "Abu Dhabi" kids. They treat every roll and every class like it's ADCC and you're Marcelo in the finals! . You just have to put them down quick and hard, and then explain to them that they're not learning if they treat it like a fight. It's a difficult thing to explain, especially to younger kids, but even so, I roll with them for 15 or 20 minutes and then they start getting a bit tired and methodical and "getting it".
    I try to warm up for quite a while before class again. It's the only way. That and the new pain-killers my doc gave me! Man, what a wonder! I was almost pain free last night, and certainly felt better than I have in a year!

Array

School
    10TH Planet Morgantown
    SPEAKIN OF WHICH... Has anyone come up with an effective method/description of how to explain what Tempo Rolling is to these cats? I try and try, but they just cant seem to get the idea. The most progress I have made is to call it Zero Ego Rolling... Meaning its OK to tap, in fact your supposed to and then keep rolling like it didnt happen. Tap and Release is another way I have attempted to explain it. All I know is that if I try to dial back or tell people to roll at 50% or 60% it's a joke. Like John says, if they cant go 60% I go 110% a smash them quick. You lose alot of prospective students this way though... The Ego is a killer.

IDEAS???

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast