Rebel Yoga for BJJ asks you, "Do you know the hip and knee joints?"

The hip’s major corresponding muscles and corresponding directions of movement are Gluteus medius, Gluteus minimus,Tensor fasciae latae (Abduction), Gracilis, Adductor magnus, Adductor brevis, Adductor longus, Pectineus (Adduction), Rectus femoris, Iliacus, Psoas, Sartorius, Tensor fasciae latae, Pectineus, Adductor longus (Flexion), Gluteus maximus, Biceps femoris, Semitendinosus, Semimembranosus (Extension), Pectineus, Gracilis, Semitendinosus, Semimembranosus, Gluteus medius (anterior fibers) Gluteus minimus, Tensor fasciae latae (Internal rotation), Psoas, Iliacus, Sartorius, Adductor brevis, Adductor magnus, Biceps femoris, Gluteus maximus, Gluteus medius (posterior fibers), 6 deep external rotators (External rotation).

The knee’s major corresponding muscles and corresponding directions of movement are Rectus femoris, Vastus Lateralis, Vastus Medialis, Vastus Intermedius (Extension), Biceps femoris, Popliteus, Semimembranosus, Semitendinosus (Flexion), Biceps femoris (External rotation), Semimembranosus, Semitendinosus, Popliteus (Internal rotation).

That is a lot of stuff happening! Crazy, right?

I bet you thought all yoga instructors did was burn incense and not shower. Well...that is not the case.

Before you start doing stretching routines because some random person on Youtube told you to, think about how much is going on in these areas of the body. You have a Yotube account right? Does that qualify you to make a video about how to do open heart surgery? Just sayin'.

I'm not suggesting that you need to study anatomy like I do, but I am saying that if you are doing yoga, or any other form of stretching, do it with a qualified instructor.

And don't get me wrong, some yoga DVD's are great. However, if you are doing yoga off of a DVD, make sure the instruction includes verbal cues on how to properly align the joints, so you don't get hurt doing yoga and can safely improve your flexibility for BJJ.

Hope to see you in class!

Namaste!
    Jason

www.rebelyoga.net

Follow me on Twitter
    twitter.com/rebelyoga

Array

School
    10th planet charlotte
    yoga is awsome..bikram yoga is a great style to try..

Array

School
    Newborn Cascao
    good things to think about, thank Eisner

why is there not a rebel yoga dvd out hey honestly ????

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago
    He knows his shit. Spot on.