Array

School
    10th Planet Riverside, California

A true leg lock story - I was there

This is a true story. I was there. The names have not been changed
    to protect the innocent. Nobody is innocent here. Sorry if I hurt anybody's feeling here.

Around 2002 I was watching a Machado No-gi tournament in California.
    I was sitting next to 4th degree J.J. Machado BJJ black belt Richard Norton.
    Dean Lister was competing and won. Ricco Rodriguez was the guest
    of honor. All the Machado brothers were there. I had my video camera
    in my hand. Ricco Rodriguez was then the heavy weight UFC champion.
    He had won ADCC Submission Wrestling World Championship in 1999.
    Silver 2000 Abu Dhabi 2000 ADCC World Championships (+99kg)
    Bronze 1999 Abu Dhabi 1999 ADCC World Championships (Absolute)
    He had wrestled in high school. He had trained with the Machados and
    won many of their events and many BJJ events in general. He was quite
    frankly their best student at the time.
    He was at the top of his game. He was the star. He was seemly unbeatable.
    He was not competing that day. He was too good to be competing. He was
    the guest of honor above all of us mere mortals. Then the annoucer after telling
    us of all his accomplishments put out a challenge to anybody in the audience if
    they would dare grapple this monster of a man. Ricco was 6'3" 285 pounds. Who
    would dare grapple this man. Well, there was one man that stepped up to the
    challenge. Ahmad Reese. 5 foot 8 at best and around 195 pounds. He looked like a midget next to Ricco. But Ahmad Reese had one thing going for him. He knew leg locks. He had trained with leg lock experts including Gokor. As they started to grapple I had my video camera going.
    They went at it like two wrestlers with Ahmad keeping up with Ricco. Then after a take down by Ricco Ahmad some how ended up in Ricco guards. All of a sudden Ahmad had Ricco in a heelhook seemly out of nowhere. Ricco did not want to tap so Ahmad put it to him.
    Tap or snap Ricco! Well Ricco finally tapped after getting his leg leg busted up pretty bad. The crowd went wild. Dean Lister and all the Machado brothers came running over. Ahamd tried to console Ricco. Ricco would have nothing to do with it. I got it all on camera. A few weeks after this by pure coincedence Ahmad Reese went to the Machado school in Pasadena where I was training because he was good friends with a Machado top brown belt at the time. Ahmad taught us leg locks. I invited him to my school and he taught us more leg locks and did two leg lock seminars for us. Which I filmed. He had other friends that knew leg lock and they taught me leg locks too.

Moral of the story, you might be one of the top grapplers in the world but
    if you don't know leg locks and leg lock counters you can be beat.

Array

School
    AJ Sousa BJJ Center
    Thats awesome. I would love to see that video

Array

School
    AJ Sousa BJJ Center
    Thats why I love this guy

http://youtu.be/YD4348F5lrA

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    One of my favorite quotes from Coach Zog is (paraphrased): a black belt can be a white belt at leglocks(I'm sure he'll correct me, but that's kind of how I understood it). Apparently one of the alpha dogs at 10th planet Roc (Scott Yockel) taps BB's with leglocks. Not sure what rank the last two guys he tapped were, but he is a leg lock monster. Seen it with my own eyes. Land slide victories. Killer heel hooks.

This is a cool story and it's wild how leg locks are starting to become like THE big threat in big comps. If I remember right, most finishes in ADCC were from leg locks.

Array

School
    AJ Sousa BJJ Center
    This is a good one too

http://youtu.be/hSoWIANirww

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Perez View Post
    Thats awesome. I would love to see that video
    Will send it to you.

Array

School
    Do you have Imanari's instructional Eric?

Mazakazu Imanari. Master of Leglocks - YouTube
    Uploaded by commandantev on Oct 13, 2009 no description available Category: Sports Tags: Mazakazu Imanari Pride MixFight K-1 Leglock бои без ...
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=y07oSSrz8Vk - Cached
    .Play Video
    More results from youtube.com »

Array

School
    AJ Sousa BJJ Center
    Nope but I will definitely check it out

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester; 10th Planet St. Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by David Rosado View Post
    One of my favorite quotes from Coach Zog is (paraphrased): a black belt can be a white belt at leglocks(I'm sure he'll correct me, but that's kind of how I understood it). Apparently one of the alpha dogs at 10th planet Roc (Scott Yockel) taps BB's with leglocks. Not sure what rank the last two guys he tapped were, but he is a leg lock monster. Seen it with my own eyes. Land slide victories. Killer heel hooks.

This is a cool story and it's wild how leg locks are starting to become like THE big threat in big comps. If I remember right, most finishes in ADCC were from leg locks.
    I've heard Coach say that a few times and it totally makes sense to me. At many places, you don't even get to start learning the positions until you're a purple belt. Even then, you have to put in the time and effort to understand, troubleshoot, and get good at the positions of control. So if you don't even really start focusing on them until you're a brown belt, you could for sure be a black belt but be no better at leg locks than a white belt is at arm bars. I also agree that does students a disservice. It teaches them to focus on half of the body and they lose awareness of how exposed their legs are. Then when they do come across somebody like Scott -- who has put in a LOT of time and effort to perfecting those control positions -- they have no answer for him. He's at a high level with those positions, he's fast, and he's well conditioned. If you haven't put the time in defending that, you're done. Doesn't matter if you have a black belt or not if you leave those feet dangling like a white belt.