Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Array

School
    self teaching at roehampton university

just had first lesson in a long time and it didn't go so well....

I teach the 10th planet system at university to a group of my friends and came home for christmas holidays and decided to go for a lesson or two. my injures didn't get in the way of my jj and iv been doing it for a while (had 4 months of lessons and out for just over a year and a half then self teach in 10pjj here and their for 5 months then 2 months out then a solid 4 days a week self teaching for 4 months). I just feel bad that i teach the system but I got beat by 2 whites today. i used to be the best in that gym a long time ago but got to understand that i need to do some more hard work and try and improve. Just didn't exspect to get tapped by 2 of the white belts their. sorry the big rant guys. hope every ones doing good.

Array

School
    10th Planet Portland
    Where are you located buddy?

Array

School
    peterborough england my freind

Array

School
    10th Planet Portland
    Are there any Jiu Jitsu academies around your area where you can train? If you find yourself being beaten by white belts, who you feel shouldn't be able to beat you, a review of some fundamentals might be in order. Fundamentals and higher level people to practice with can be found at most jiu jitsu gyms. This may not be available inside your self taught group of friends at university. If you are not close enough to a 10th Planet Moon to train with an affiliate you should not give up the system, but some jiu jitsu instruction is clearly necessary. I practiced my 10th planet jiu jitsu alone for 2 years while training at a gym far away from any other 10th planet school and of course it was not the best practice i could get for the system, but it was some practice and my fundamentals became secure.

Array

School
    not in london but in peterborough ye. cheers for the advice man really appriceate it.

if your in college you should wrestle too. it's the best type of base you can get for grappling.

Array

School
    10th Planet Essex Hotbox
    Quote Originally Posted by Phill Schwartz View Post
    Are there any Jiu Jitsu academies around your area where you can train? If you find yourself being beaten by white belts, who you feel shouldn't be able to beat you, a review of some fundamentals might be in order. Fundamentals and higher level people to practice with can be found at most jiu jitsu gyms. This may not be available inside your self taught group of friends at university. If you are not close enough to a 10th Planet Moon to train with an affiliate you should not give up the system, but some jiu jitsu instruction is clearly necessary. I practiced my 10th planet jiu jitsu alone for 2 years while training at a gym far away from any other 10th planet school and of course it was not the best practice i could get for the system, but it was some practice and my fundamentals became secure.
    Wholeheartedly agree with this. I think when your trying to teach yourself everything there is a huge chance of minor details that you could be missing out from the technique, even the basic stuff. Very often I think my technique is fine until my coach points out a key detail that totally changes it for me for the better that i've been missing the whole time.
    Outside perspective is important. Not to mention with no rhyme or reason to what order your learning things theres no way you can know if you've missed some fundamentals right?

Go to local school and see whats up. Then supplement this into your existing 10p game imo.

Array

School
    their are no 10thpjj schools near and when i go back to university theirs no bjj places within 15 miles so its to expensive doing that so have to self teach. got the books and going to sign up to mst so il start teaching myself then my guys that i suppose.

Array

School
    10th Planet St. Louis
    it's just like what Mr Miyagi says "you can't learn karate (or 10thbjj) from a book", even though books are good and have their places in learning, it will be near impossible to advance in skill without rolling with another high level athlete, so go out there and find them

Array

School
    Aspiring 10th Planet Fans/Alpha Tae Kwon Do
    it will be near impossible to advance in skill without rolling with another high level athlete, so go out there and find them
    I have to second all of the above too, right now I'm practicing with a gym nearby (that is actually Karate based but the instructor takes private lessons from a Jitsui instructor when he can, and one of his students is an MMA fighter with a wrestling background and studies jitsui too). As much as I hate being tapped all the time by him and the rest of the big kids I have to admit you need to be out there rolling with someone to some degree.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast