Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: how do i leave?

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor Culbertson View Post
    Don't listen to this girly shit. Knock that mother fucker out and show him you are the man now!
    aaaaaaaaand Taylors back...

Holy balls everyone...listen to what Mike is telling you; don't tell him to train both he said he doesn't want to.

Ok i would sit my instructor down and lay it out there. Say hey i appreciate all the amazing instruction and mentor ship over the years. Explain that you will always have his back then go on to tell him you will be leaving soon and you want to be prepared for what will happen when you leave. I mean as long as you are respectful and honest how can anyone be angry. Maybe even ask if there will be a place for you if you need to go back. He should be pretty cool about it if not then go with the Taylor approach; knock that motherfucker out, throw him out of his own Gym, change the name to Mikes Motel of Skull Crushers or something like that, and rule the towns martial arts scene with an iron fist. Priblem solves problem staying solved. You're welcome!

Array

School
    Carlson Gracie Miami/10P Miami/Ft. Laud Hotbox remnant
    I can tell you're really feeling mixed up about this Mike. Here's the best advice I can give and I hope it helps. Some fundamental things you need to accept so that you can make the right decision is

1. You do NOT need any excuses for pursuing the things you want out of life.
    2. You are entitled to the best the world has to offer.
    3. You do NOT need anyone's permission to be happy.

Really let those tenets soak in. Your Japanese JJ instructor can be happy for you and support your endeavors despite his potential feelings for sense of loss in such a dedicated student or he can allow that potential feeling of loss to overshadow the fact that you are his friend and that he should want nothing else for you but for you to pursue happiness and fulfillment in your life. Either way, that doesn't change what you have to do.

I know this isn't an easy situation and your instructor may not understand, but just remember, 10/20/30/40 years from now, or 60+ years from now when you're on your death bed, you're going to regret the things that you DIDN'T pursue more than the things that you DID attempt to do. I do not get an overwhelming amount of support from my family for training in a combat sport, compete in submission fights, let alone do my occasional amateur rules MMA smoker. Many people think that I'm being irresponsible because they think that I may become an invalid or die from my sport of choice. The reality of the situation is that yes, I may become injured from jiu jitsu and MMA, but I may also become injured from football, basketball, tennis, hockey, or hell, even ping pong players get nasty tennis elbow. The riskiest/deadliest activity I've done in my life besides serve in the military is simply drive on the road as people die daily from driving. The point is, I'm doing what I love to do for myself, because it makes me a happier and more fulfilled person which makes me a better brother, husband, son, uncle, father, etc.

Go for what you want. You only get one shot at life.

Array

School
    Carlson Gracie Miami/10P Miami/Ft. Laud Hotbox remnant
    Quote Originally Posted by Cody Kietzman View Post
    He should be pretty cool about it if not then go with the Taylor approach; knock that motherfucker out, throw him out of his own Gym, change the name to Mikes Motel of Skull Crushers or something like that, and rule the towns martial arts scene with an iron fist. Priblem solves problem staying solved. You're welcome!
    You have a flair for writing Cody.

Quote Originally Posted by Enrique "Kiko" View Post
    You have a flair for writing Cody.
    You aren't the first person to tell me that! You're welcome!

Array

School
    Ronin
    Quote Originally Posted by Cody Kietzman View Post
    Holy balls everyone...listen to what Mike is telling you; don't tell him to train both he said he doesn't want to.

Ok i would sit my instructor down and lay it out there. Say hey i appreciate all the amazing instruction and mentor ship over the years. Explain that you will always have his back then go on to tell him you will be leaving soon and you want to be prepared for what will happen when you leave. I mean as long as you are respectful and honest how can anyone be angry. Maybe even ask if there will be a place for you if you need to go back. He should be pretty cool about it if not then go with the Taylor approach; knock that motherfucker out, throw him out of his own Gym, change the name to Mikes Motel of Skull Crushers or something like that, and rule the towns martial arts scene with an iron fist. Priblem solves problem staying solved. You're welcome!
    Solid advice! Level headed approach with some Taylor thinking for plan B.
    formerly known as jmw0582

Array

School
    10th Planet Riverside, California
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack LaBarge View Post
    I don't see why you can't train both. Go train BJJ. You don't have to stop training JJ completely. Ari (10th Planet Victoria) teaches jj, bjj, & 10th Planet jj at his school. They are all worthy of teaching!
    Good advise. However if your instructor does not agree then you need to move on.
    Before practicing BJJ and the 10th Planet system I did Judo and some traditional
    Japanese Jiu-Jitsu along with Hapkido. Anyway one time this black belt in traditional
    Jiu-Jitsu came into our Judo class. Everybody was tapping him out. Even the white belts.
    He was a fish out of water with his black belt on.
    Judo and BJJ are a sport and you practice with a total resisting opponent. Japanese Jiu-Jitsu
    is an art and you don't have somebody actually fighting back.

I remember the first time somebody got me in a choke in one of my first Judo classes. I was shocked that the
    guy was actually going to choke me unconscious if I did not escape or tap. I had practiced getting out of
    chokes in Hapkido classes but never like that. Ironically I did use one of my Hapkido counters to that choke
    and it worked but still Judo and BJJ are real while traditional Japanese Jiu-Jitsu is practiced with a non
    resisting opponet or partner. Same thing with Aikido.

Array

School
    Zombie BJJ - RMNU
    I would keep the instructors feelings in mind.

"Accidentally" shit your pants while training. Then you just have
    to explain to him that you were very embarrassed and can't come back.
    60% of the time, it works everytime.

Array

School
    nowhere curerently
    Quote Originally Posted by 10th Planet Riverside, Ca View Post
    Good advise. However if your instructor does not agree then you need to move on.
    Before practicing BJJ and the 10th Planet system I did Judo and some traditional
    Japanese Jiu-Jitsu along with Hapkido. Anyway one time this black belt in traditional
    Jiu-Jitsu came into our Judo class. Everybody was tapping him out. Even the white belts.
    He was a fish out of water with his black belt on.
    Judo and BJJ are a sport and you practice with a total resisting opponent. Japanese Jiu-Jitsu
    is an art and you don't have somebody actually fighting back.

I remember the first time somebody got me in a choke in one of my first Judo classes. I was shocked that the
    guy was actually going to choke me unconscious if I did not escape or tap. I had practiced getting out of
    chokes in Hapkido classes but never like that. Ironically I did use one of my Hapkido counters to that choke
    and it worked but still Judo and BJJ are real while traditional Japanese Jiu-Jitsu is practiced with a non
    resisting opponet or partner. Same thing with Aikido.
    I didn't specify the style of jjj i do its basically mma in a GI. but one night we might work on knife and gun defense then the next stand up then the next night we do hook sweep drills. I just want to grapple. Also it will be hard to tell him im taking off for a while because we have had a black belt just leave after getting his belt and i do not want to disappoint some one i regard so highly.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeox34 View Post
    I didn't specify the style of jjj i do its basically mma in a GI. but one night we might work on knife and gun defense then the next stand up then the next night we do hook sweep drills. I just want to grapple. Also it will be hard to tell him im taking off for a while because we have had a black belt just leave after getting his belt and i do not want to disappoint some one i regard so highly.
    You have to address that issue too. Tell him hey I know Dounchey McDoucherson just left for X reason but i want you to understand that i am leaving for this reason. Don't avoid it you have to address so that he knows exactly where you stand. You may discover in the process here that where you stand and where he stands may be two different places that would be opening and possibly difficult to take seeing as it is someone you highly regard. On the other hand you may be blowing this up to be bigger than it already is and he is gonna be all cool with it. On the other other hand he may be reading this right now and planning your demise via ninja stars and blowguns. Watch your back brother.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast